I need a movie editor for an old machine (867 mhz)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmm, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I am just trying to put clips together and do some simple editing. I had iMovie 05 HD but deleted it about a week ago when I said "I'd never use this." I tried reinstalling it through the iLife 05 CD but it is grayed out saying my machine is too slow to install it.

I tried downloading the trial of Adobe Premiere - it says my machine is too slow to run it.

Are there any apps out there - free or not - that will let me do basic editing without having to read 1000 pages to learn how to edit a video?

I'm just trying to make some YouTube videos.

My PB specs:

12" LCD
    867mhz
    768 ram
    40gb hdd

2. Cerebrum macrumors regular

Cerebrum

I dunno how much luck you'll have finding what you need without purchase with a mac of those stats. Perhaps try to see a sale for the same editing software on ebay or such.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Try getting an old version of Final Cut Pro 3 or something on eBay. That should work. I doubt it would work with the latest operating system though, but you could always try.

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I don't understand is how iMovie HD was installed on my system just last week.

Hell, I may have backed it up on my external HDD and could just move it right over.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have no idea about that and it does sound weird. Have you done anything odd to your computer recently? Upgraded any software at all? What OS are you running?

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked my external HDD - I didn't back up my Applications folder, unfortunately.

I run 10.4.9.

It was iMovie 06, actually, according to files left in /Library

No I haven't done anything to my computer. And I don't have 2k right now for a MBP though I *really* want/need one.

7. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is iDVD? I still have that on my machine? Will it let me edit videos?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

iDVD takes movies edited by iMovie and allows you to create DVD menus and other DVD features and then burns a finished DVD. It is not a video editing application.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

10. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, what applications were available to people 5-6 years ago when my machine was new?

If you can get anything to run on a linux box, I don't see why there isn't one damn video editing application out there for OS X for an older machine.

11. Ben Kei macrumors regular

In about 2000-2001 I was using an older version of Adobe Premiere (pre Premiere Pro), problem is I've forgotten which version it was now! (5 or 6 I think) And I was using it in OS9 too so maybe not too helpful.

The first version of Final Cut came out about 2001 I think and ran on OS X. not sure if it would run on 10.4.x though.