I need a Movie maker!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jmanp17, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Jmanp17 macrumors member

Since Imovie is Crap and cant play avi files, I need a new movie maker for a montage I'm making!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iMovie is not crap for not being able to recognise every format and codec on the planet.

Btw, .avi is only a format/container for a variety of codecs, mostly codecs with high compression, thus .avi is not really a recommended editing format (except with Premiere Pro, but it uses proper codecs).
    Therefore your search for an editing application, that is capable of editing .avi files, most likely ones with high compression (Divx, Xvid, ...), will only bring pain to your older Mac. It is easier to transcode the .avi files to a proper format (like the one I pointed to), to stress the CPU less, as those codecs I mentioned (Divx, Xvid, ...) are CPU intensive, especially in an editing application.

But as I have written this many times before, you might find a post of mine explaining it more thoroughly via MRoogle (link can be found via search engine).

You could give Adobe Premiere Pro a 30-day try and see for yourself, if it handles your .avi files to your liking.

PS: Those "movie maker" programs are called "editing applications".

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what do you want to spend?
    Final Cut Studio is a awesome but i doubt you want to spend $1000. What about Final Cut Express. Does that to avi? I don't think i've ever needed to use that codec, and i've dealt with some weird ones. If only people could use H.264 :p

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can get an idea here of what the OP wants.

And I would like to have my 4K footage in 128Kbit/s H264 encoded .mkvs, it's easier to edit that way.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You could use Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere, although I have no idea what they're like or even if they run on the Mac :D

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Adobe Premiere runs on Mac OS X, the current version is even 64-bit. Vegas does not run on Mac OS X.

7. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I just encoded my avi file to an mpeg and now that I know how to do that It's much easier to use imovie, your all wonderful! :)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG is still not the best format, as it gets transcoded again during import into iMovie.

Either use the Apple Intermediate Codec or the DV codec, you can use MPEP Streamclip to do the transcoding.

If you want to know more about this, you could use MRoogle to find plenty of threads about this.

9. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

10. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

It will depend on what you're aiming to end up with as far as video quality. mpeg is fine, especially since you're converting from an already compressed version of your video(s).

If you are converting for editing from an HD camcorder however, you might want to consider .dv as it is a raw format. iMovie will re-encode the video to some format that it likes when you import it anyway, but you have less loss in quality when converting to dv. How much less..who knows. If it looks good in the end...you're all set.

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It works fine, but the video gets transcoded twice (.avi > .mp4, .mp4 > .mov/.dv), thus you lose image quality and time.

Anyway, if it works for you and use .avi files anyway, I guess you are not that interested in image quality.

Have fun editing.