I need a new bag

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by steviem, Jun 17, 2011.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I need a new bag.

I have a leather 'messenger' bag, but it's getting a bit old, the magnet on the flap interferes with my iPad. I have a Dakine snowboarding bag, which has too many straps going everywhere and both don't have any padding to protect my stuff.

I need a bag that can carry the following:
    -iPad 2
    -Work MacBook 13"
    -Water bottle
    -Power brick, iPod Cable, micro USB, Camera Cable
    -Lunch
    -DSLR, Telephoto lens

Lunch and DSLR are probably going to be mutually exclusive, but it'd be nice to have enough space in there.

I kind of like the look of some of the Timbuk2 bags, the incase Sling looks a little small but I'm not averse to a messenger bag or a backpack (as long as it doesn't have straps going across my chest, if they're removable, I'd think about it.).

Any recommendations would be awesome!

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag that I'm pretty sure could fit everything in there except the DSLR. But I can vouch for the quality of their bags in general though. They're a bit pricey compared to the competition, but well worth it.

4. rovex macrumors 65816

Pastic bags, they're free at supermarkets you know.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I personally like Swiss Army knife backpacks. And all of that could easily fit into one.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Attached Files:

7. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Not a big fan of messengers but I use these two bags for a variety of situations and both work great.

The Northface Big Shot is pretty big and has more than enough room for all your gear. Only "issue" is that it's just one big pouch essentially. There is an interior pocket for your laptop but everything else would be floating around in the main compartment. It also has some small slot pockets on the outside as well as some side pockets for your water bottle.

The Oakley AP 3.0 is a bit smaller in terms of carrying capacity but it has tons of pockets to organize your stuff. I use this one as my daily pack.

Attached Files:

9. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

That slingpack looks crazy! Thanks for the advise, the Oakley looks pretty good, not sure about the indiana jones style bag, I don't know, but I've never been a fan of him or his style!

10. beewee808 macrumors newbie

DSLR camera bag with a dedicated iPad slot.

I needed something for my Canon DSLR and my iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-3445-Rally-Camera-Netbook/dp/B0045O0DHW

I wanted something for travelling that could comfortably carry my Canon DSLR (EOS 7D) with the kit zoom lens (28-135mm), plus a 2nd smaller Canon 50mm lens, plus my iPad. And I didn't want a backpack, or a large messenger/duffel bag. In other words, I wanted to find the smallest, lightest option which could give me quick access to my gear.

Since purchasing the bag, I've actually been able to travel with the above mentioned gear, PLUS another camera (Fuji x100) AND a 2nd iPad (my wife's), all in this one bag. The inner compartment dividers are flexible and customizable enough for me to squeeze in both cameras, the extra lens and additional bits of gear. The flap opens at the top for pretty easy access to everything.

The inner vertical iPad slot actually was able to hold TWO iPads (one with the Apple iPad original case, the other iPad2 with a Smart Cover attached). It is a snug fit for 2 iPads, but, hey it works!

The outer back pocket was great for quick access for a magazine, guidebooks or maps, and the zippered front pocket area was great for carrying extra batteries, memory cards, chargers/travel European power adapters. There are also two side outer mesh pockets which, for me, held bottled water and snacks.

The wide strap has a nice padded shoulder piece, and the attached handle grip was handy (no pun intended) to have. I like the dimensions of this bag, and that it's smaller than the typical messenger bag or backpack.