I need a new computer...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rest44, Aug 11, 2007.

1. rest44 macrumors member

rest44

...but none seams to fit my needs.

I was waiting for the new iMac, but I had such a big disapointment.. it doesn´t fit my needs. I wanted something to do regular stuff at home, and also to do some photo editing and audio mixing.

The glossy screan doesn´t work for me and I don´t know what to do. I also think iMac is a little bit of an unfinished product because of its flaws (see: "the new iMac make me wonder" on the iMac forum).

I don´t know what to do. I need a new computer and I don´t want to be in the pc world. But I don´t want to spend 1700€ on a computer that isn´t exacly what I need and want. The mac pro is going to have an update sometime soon, mas is just to much expensive and I prefer not to have that big tower in my room.

What should I do? Laptop is not an option, I dislike typing on a laptop keyboard. Should I wait for something new? probably another big big wait.. the problem is that I can´t wait that much. I ´m stuck. :x

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What specs are you looking for exactly?

Laptop keyboard? Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse
    Glossy screen? Get the laptop with the matte

Why are you so opposed to the glossy?

Give your specs and someone will give you options
    What PC would fit your needs?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm, what do you have now? If you don't like the new iMac, why don't you get a used, clearance, or refurbished version of the previous C2D iMac, and pocket the extra money or use it on other equipment? It sounds like you're waiting for newer and newer hardware without having a specific need for it, when the previous hardware could do what you want just fine.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I use a 17" MacBook Pro with an external keyboard and an external monitor. Powerful enough to run CS3 and Quark7, reasonable video card, small and space-saving, quiet, portable if necessary... it has a matte screen when used as a laptop.

Don't think I'll ever go back to a tower again for a home machine.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

KEYBOARD?? Laptop keyboard? The new apple keyboard is just like the Macbooks!!

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It doesn't sound like you have a need for a great GPU, so the mini, may be a good choice, have you looked at them yet?

7. volvoben macrumors 6502

Indeed, you haven't really given us adequate explanation of why the imac doesn't suit your needs. Glossy screen, ok, but that's almost always a preference. Not always though, for instance my girlfriend's imac is in our cupola surrounded by 8 windows...using a macbook up there was damn near impossible even with the curtains drawn, so she has already discounted the new imacs.

Any other reasons for discounting the new iMacs are probably unwarranted; there's not much to complain about if you just want a basic computer to do some photo editing, web surfing, dabbling with video etc.

Let us know what your reasoning is, and if it's just the glossy screen, get a refurb last gen, they're still great machines.

8. Juggler9000 macrumors newbie

I've got to agree here. I was looking at a new iMac or maybe a MBP but changed my mind with the new minis. I picked one up and couldn't be happier. I've got a great 22" Samsung monitor, and a nice tiny puter for a lot less than I would have spent on an iMac or MBP. Put a little extra RAM in there and then you'll have a great little computer for what you need.

As long as gaming is not one of those things you need...

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I would get a refurb iMac, or a Mac Mini. Lots of companies make good monitors without glossy screens, if you don't want to buy a cinema display.

10. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'll put it another vote for a refurb last-gen iMac. They're really great machines and they can probably be had for a good amount now. (Not that they were really over-priced to begin with.)