I need a new iPod.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jarron, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jarron macrumors newbie

Hi there! Just made an account today on MacRumors and have a question:

Do you think I should buy the iPod touch now, or wait? I don't have one (2G iPod touch was trashed) and I desperately need one but have no idea when Apple will be releasing the new device. It could be tomorrow or it could be October. Also, where is the best deal? I see Amazon.com has them for $204, and sometimes Target offers a $25 gift card with the purchase of an iPod Touch. Also, do you know what Apple's policy is on returns? Say the new 'Touch comes out a week after I buy the now current, but then last generation model. Could I return it and get the newer model?

Thx for your help.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I think you already answered your own question right there. No one knows when the next one will be released and what changes it will have. Apple has a return policy so if they release a new one within the return policy period you can bring it back.

3. jarron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

You don't need a reason for your return, you can always make one up. Apple has a 30 day return policy, if memory serves me correctly.

I'd like to think the iPod touch 5 will be similar to the new iPhone, if there are any drastic changes or if an iPod touch 5 is released, but the iPod touch 4 has the biggest upgrades and I don't think the new one will have big enough changes to warrant buying one. I say go with the iPod touch 4 and return it if you decide to.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just wait for Sept, something should pop up in that month.

6. tablo13, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

fixed

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

You could get a refurb off eBay much easier. Even with the gift card, they still mark it full price. And it's usually a reciept, so you're more likely to lose it. If you do decide to buy it from one of those two, then go for Amazon. They don't have tax either (for most states).

I would go with a 4G. It doesn't seem the rumors are very big around now, so it probably won't be a big upgrade, like predicted last year. The 5G to 6G (if it lasts that long) will be a large upgrade.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Usually new iPods come out in September, wait if you can.

10. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

11. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

iPod breaks/dies/etc. It's your main/only portable music/internet device. Seems a pretty simple equation from there.

To the OP: I would weigh your uses of the Touch. Is it ONLY a music device? Do you have less music than 64gb? If the answer to these two questions is "yes," then I see no reason to wait. The new Touch will only bring upgrades for people who play processor-intensive games and may, possibly, add a better camera. It *might* have 128gb capacity, too, but there's just no telling on that. For me, the Touch is purely a music player, so I don't really care if it gets any major changes. My only concern is that it has access to iTunes In The Cloud, which it's going to.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I use mine as a PDA and yes you can desperately need one. I think when I sold mine I really needed one because I put all my appointments on them. I use a lot of the Apps with my workflow. A couple of times I was without it, and I lost a lot of info and ideas I couldn't write down.

At OP A lot of the stores are marking their iPods down. Best Buy Office Max, Staples, etc. so you can either save on the 4th gen. or wait.

13. jarron thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone developer who's old iPod broke.

:cool:

14. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Wait for 5G

Don't like it? Get the 4G that stores are trying to clear out for a cheaper price.

Like the 5G, buy the 5G and be satisfied.

You can't lose by waiting but you certainly won't win by not waiting.