I need a new laptop, and I really need some help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vivid.Inferno, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Ok, first off I am a student in Canada. I want to buy a new macbook pro when the new ones come out. Now I don't have the money to pay for it right away. I had a student loan, but almost all of it went to fixing my moms car (long story, she didn't have the money, car needed to be fixed, it's all we had).

What I need to know is if Apple has a financing option? If they don't I'm going to need to buy a Dell, and I'd really rather not.

I know there is a student discount, but I didn't notice anything about a payment plan. Is it possible to do a payment plan without the student discount? I also have the possibilty to buy from Best Buy or Future Shop, because they have store credit cards >.<. I would rather buy online, because I want to customize it.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Apple has no financing plan. However, if you're buying from Best Buy or Future Shop there is financing.

You really don't have a lot of choices here.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

If there is a new line of notebooks announced on tuesday (there is some speculation about that :rolleyes: ) then perhaps Futureshop or Best Buy will have some deals on old stock. If you are in the West, don't forget to also look at London Drugs.... Good luck.

5. techietriumph macrumors newbie

Im not to certain on how it works out there in Canada, but here in the US there are financing options available where you can opt to pay 70 USD a month for the high-end baseline Macbook Pro offered on the website. This info is listed under the price. However when I select the Canada version of the site I dont see that same info. All I can say is to do one of four things:

1) If possible, have someone in out here in the US make the purchase for you online (or do it yourself by selecting the US site on the bottom of the www.apple.com page ) and then have it delivered in the US, and from there shipped to your location. This way you can take advantage of the monthly financing option by having the in between person make the payments for you while you pay them back.

2) Take out a credit card at a local store and just buy one of the 8 the stock models at the store and do the upgrades (i.e. memory if thats what you meant by customization)

3) Call and confirm there are no payment plan options and if there are not, proceed with either option 1 or 2, or 4.

4) Just get a Dell (I HIGHLY recommend you DONT! I have one and im looking to get a Mac Notebook simply because of issues im having with vista and the hardware)

Hope all works out and your not stuck with a Dell!

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Before you buy the dell, buy a used Mac for heaven's sake!

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Upgrade it yourself. Way cheaper. Stock model from Best Buy, using BB's financing, get some ram/HD from an online retailer + 45 minutes of your time to install it.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest that you consider a refurb model when the new ones come out. Apple offer rather generous discounts on refurb models, the models themselves are tried and tested, they come with Apple's warranty (and have been individually tested), and you have the option to add Applecare later on, should your financial situation improve.
    Cheers and good luck

10. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

i used to work for apple, their credit is awful via JUNIPER. it is only for 90 days and the rates are high. you're better off with a store card somewhere else or an online shop like newegg.com with their preferred account.

11. LowEnder macrumors member

Are there any Apple Certified Resellers reasonably close to you? If so, they often offer financing, as well as being able to order with the software you want.
    If not, Best Buy....
    get a refurb before you get a Dell!
    best of luck and keep us posted!

12. Ryan5001 macrumors newbie

mac's online

I purchassed a dell pc and an acer laptop and was always happy with them, a year later my buddy went 2 college and got a mac book, 2 years have passed now and im going to gollege and i like the mac book my buddy has. I want to get the new mac book pro 17" with longer battery life, i want the bigger one so its gna be $3,189 bucks after i put in ilife 09 and i dont have that much money 2 blow on a computer. After much thinking i decided im going to put it on my student loan, its gna be $40,000 anyway so whats 3 more lol. I got my last laptop from the source by circuit city, i got their credit card and used their financing payment, the laptop cost $649, i also got a mouse and a backpack for it, I had 60 days to pay as much as i could with 0 intrist, i payd slowly and payd big for it, the intrist came and it was 29.9% and after i managed 2 pay that off i could have bought a macbook pro and upgraded it, my advise would be to, 1- include it in your student loan, 2- if u have your own credit card then call your card company and lift the limit enough to buy your new mac, the intrist will never be as much as a store card, plus u will get some extra credit lol. The best way would always be cash but not everyone can do it that way.

13. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend buying from Best buy. Do not, I mean DO NOT get the Juniper card. It is pointless.

14. spike8585 macrumors member

Future Shop Honoring Student Discount - No Ipod

I just called Future Shop in Montreal Canada, and they told me that they would price match the Student Discount from Apple, bringing the 17 MBP to $2650.00 instead of 2899.00. But they will not throw in the Ipod touch. They have an offer for a printer and Iwork 09, but you have to choose between that and the $250.00 off. The benefit is 12 months 0% interest, equal payments.

15. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

16. spike8585 macrumors member

Haha, sorry. I was reading and I didnt check the date! Whoops!

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Futureshop offers 12 months of equal payments on all laptops (at least they did a while ago, and probably still do now).

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1

Dell never was a great company after around 1997ish...not sure why people still like them.

Not to mention we just got a ton of new dells at work and every...single...touchpad....absolutely sucks. Users keep coming in whining but theres nothing we can do, its how its made.

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Meh, to be honest all it takes is a bad experience or two with ANY company and you're completely turned off from them. I'm a huge apple fan, but I used to own (before switching!) an Inspiron 700m and it was great. The build quality wasn't as good as Apple's, but I was happy with it! Also, I remember maybe in the year 2000 or so, I had a dimension desktop, the hard drive died, and Dell actually sent a tech over to my house the next day to replace it! They probably don't do that anymore, but I was really impressed, and I didn't even pay for any additional warranty or anything like that. I'd actually recommend a dell to anyone based on my experience with them, but, I have read forums and a lot of people seem to hate them.

20. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

My mum has a Dell laptop, it's older than my MacBook, but it's complete crap. It runs slower than a bulldozer driven by snails. And it's not a bottom of the range one or anything, it was a decent model when she got it and it said it was ready for Vista or whatever, but it can't even seem to handle XP!

My MacBook, on the other hand, is fine :D