I need a new Mac....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Supreme User, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Supreme User macrumors newbie

I have a Power Mac G4 and I have finally decided to upgrade. The only problem is I don't know what I should get. I need plenty of power without spending more than 2000$ and I have considered buying a refurbished model. Please help make this decision easier. Thanks in advance.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It would help to know what you will be using it for.

Also, refurbs are a good way to save money. I've heard lots of good things about them and they are still covered under Apple's 1 year warranty or 3 years if you buy AppleCare. My next Mac will probably be a refurb.

3. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

to put it simply I would use it for everything. I hope to start coding with Xcode and mess around iPhone devolopment

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Those aren't really power uses like editing video, for which you would want a MP. You could get by with a really, really nice iMac refurb, unless you are also looking to code whilst sitting under the apple tree in the park.

5. mcruzader macrumors regular

Go buy a new macbook pro. You won't regret it! Then buy Squaretrade warranty with accidental protection for 3 years, use the coupon FIFTYOFF and the drop the machine when the 3 years are almost up. :D

6. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant by using it for everything i meant everything. Sure I'm going to use it primarily for coding, but I'd like the power to do other tasks that will need it. Square trade warranty?

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I agree with soberbrain.

I was about to get a refurb mac last year but ended finding a new MBP (previous generation) after they upgraded models. I got it for even less than a refub mac and it included applecare as well!

8. ~Wibble~ macrumors member

i'd get a refurm MBP
    cant go wrong there

~Wibble~

9. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

one thing I forgot to mention is that this computer is going to have to last me a while (maybe 8 years).

10. consumedsoul macrumors regular

$?

What's your budget range...?

11. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That argues for a high-end refurb iMac. MP's that will last are out of that price range.

13. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Mobility?

Is mobility important/mandatory for ya?

14. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you don't need a portable, get an iMac. 8 years is a long time and a portable has more chance of being damaged due to drops, spills, etc.

I've been using my PowerBook for 5 years. I could probably stretch it another year, but I dropped it a while back and can't charge a battery very well anymore. Good thing I currently don't "need" a portable.

There's a 3.06GHz refurb iMac for $1899 in the online store.

15. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

at this point it doesn't really matter.-- thats for the mobility question.

16. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I just received my refurb Mac Book Pro (previous generation) for $1468 including tax. It was a $600 savings from buying a new laptop.

My refurb laptop is absolutely perfect. I chose this laptop over a new MacBook model because it is faster in cpu and gpu plus I have the extra firewire ports for about the same amount of money.

Firewire may be important to consider -- the new MacBooks do not have firewire.

17. Supreme User thread starter macrumors newbie

congratulations on your buy, right about now I would sure love to own a Mac Pro.....

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm not sure whether it would last 8 years I've never had a computer for that long. But the imac sounds like it suits your needs best.