I need a new machine....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamnotme, Sep 21, 2015.

1. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

Currently my daily driver is a 2014 rMBP with 8gb ram and 256 storage. The storage is not a big deal with all honesty, neither is the CPU but I run Windows and Linux at the same time in VM so my ram is pretty much always in the yellow but mostly red in Activity monitor and use a lot of swap. I work on an app thats coded in Java and I constantly need to run it and test it at the same time on all 3 OSs. I'm having a hard time deciding between the 13 with 16GB ram and dual core i7 and 15" with the mighty quad. I love the portability of the 13" but would also like more screen real estate. I guess if I get a 15 I might as well go for the dedicated GPU since the SSD is bigger and has more CPU but does anyone know if the dedicated GPU version eats more battery power? I frankly don't really need the dGPU because I might watch some movies but I don't do any rendering or play games and I'm on the road pretty much all the time so battery is really important. Those of you who switched from 13 to 15, do you find it heavier or harder to haul?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

A 13" rmbp will suit you perfectly. But a 15" will be a better deal if maxing out the 13"

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The dGPU will eat more battery if you system uses it. It doesn't sound like it would be on much with your use case so it shouldn't be an issue.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The quad core of the 15" will come in handy running multiple VMs and other apps at the same time, but as stated, its offset by the dGPU's battery performance. Yet with that said, I think a 15" is a better option especially since you're hitting a wall on the 2014 13" You'll not see any faster performance, other then RAM based. If you're going to buy a new computer so soon after getting the 2014 model, I'd opt for the fastest possible. Just my $.02

6. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I run a 13" rmbp with 16gb and 256gb SSD and run several VMs at once. Really is a nice setup with three external LCDs. The cpu is pretty much idle so low fan speed. I prefer the 13 as a laptop simply makes noise if you stress it be it 13 or 4 core 15". Even with a 4 core 15 I'd still be trying to make it silent. If I need horsepower then I use my iMac.