Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
this seems like a cheaper option, and they are telling me it has faster transfer than airport, is this true?

It depends on your internet connection. I don't like the AE because it only has three ethernet ports, while the one linked above has four. One nice thing about the AE is that it can simultaneously handle g (like the iPod touch) and n devices (a standard notebook) without compromising speed.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
the only thing i have hardwired to my current router is my xbox, the rest of the house is wifi, so it doesn't really matter if it only has 3 ports

ohh and my internet is 8mb cable, i may upgrade that, but right now its plenty fast

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
AE is a nice piece of hardware, but you can usually find dual-band routers for a bit cheaper. I like my AE because I can connect an USB external HD to it and use it as a NAS. Other routers have this feature, but require you to install a Windows-only tool to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.