I need a new running GPS app. Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Chupa Chupa, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I abandoned the Nike app and currently use WalkTracker (Starbucks freebie). WalkTracker isn't getting the job done for me - crashes too much in the middle of a run for one thing.

Ideally I'd like an app that has (in order of necessity)

Stable & ability to run in background if using another app
    GPS tracking w/ option to save map online after run
    Interval coaching, i.e., tells me went to run, when to walk
    Can control music, i.e., if I pause the tracker the music also pauses

2. Nakana macrumors newbie

A while ago the app RunKeeper was free, so I grabbed it. Sadly I've never used it but it has great reviews, and I'm pretty sure that it runs in the background as well as allows you to control music.

I can't tell how much it costs because i already own it...

3. FiremanMike macrumors regular

iMapmyrun is what I use, works pretty well and seems accurate.

4. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I used the Adidas MiCoach app for walking and biking. Maybe give that a try?

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I second RunKeeper I use it every day. Works very well and I have never had it crashon me.

6. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I use MotionX GPS (mostly for biking but sometimes hiking). Love it - but how to get more than 2 hours out of the battery?????

7. Fugue macrumors 6502

I've tried them all, and the best one is definitely Runtastic. The interface is fairly simple, but also very informative. It has everything you may want, including music controls, elevations, calories - everything. That said, it is fairly pricey, $5.99.

Second best app is Runmeter, which is $1.99. It has the same features as Runtastic but the interface is not as good looking. I have a promo code for Runtastic, which if you're interested I would sell for $1.00 (50% off).

RunKeeper is one of the ugliest running fitness apps. It only gets so much press because it's free.

MapMyRun is decent. It crashes quite often though, and again, it's not the best looking application.

By the way, why didn't you like Nike+?