I need a new TV...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, May 9, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So, after a long day of playing Guitar Hero 2 with friends yesterday, my TV decides it's no longer going to turn on, or show any signs of life.

It worked fine all day, as it has since they day I got it like 8 years ago, then last night after everyone was gone, I went to turn it on and nothing. Won't power on with the button on the face of the TV or using the remote.

I don't know much about televisions, but I know it's not safe to open them up unless you really know what you are doing. I just don't understand what could have happened. It hasn't shown any signs of being on it's way out, and it doesn't really even get used that often in the first place.

We did have a big storm last night, but this was before the storm even hit, so I don't think it's related. Also, the TV is plugged into one of those power strip/surge protector deals, along with several other devices (mostly gaming consoles) which all still work fine. The power strip has a red light that is lit up on it now (can't remember if it was before or not) so i tried plugging the TV directly into the wall and got nothing. All my circuit breakers are still in the ON position.

If I had money, I'd buy a new TV.... :(

So, yeah. Any ideas?

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It looks like you're gonna have to talk to your family till you get money for a new tv.

3. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Have you tried repair permission.
    OK onto a more serious note why don't you take it into a repair shop.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

:eek:

Don't even joke around like that.

Last time I did that, it ended up costing more than I originally paid for the TV, in which case I would just buy a new TV now.

Got $700 I can borrow? ;)

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Most likely explanation is that the power supply crapped out. Probably run $300-$400 including parts (yeah, it's outrageous).

TV's are nearly a commodity item anymore. Time to replace.

7. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Any chance there is a simple bus fuse inside the TV I could replace?

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless you are comfortable poking around high-voltage power supplies, I wouldn't recommend it. CRT-based units could have upwards of 20,000 volts plus firing the electron gun. Even though it may be only in the milliamp range, it's still a big snap, crackle, pop.

As to whether the power supply is commonly fused and moderately accessible, I wouldn't venture a guess - it's been years since I poked around in one.

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

why don't you find a decent used one on Craigslist? Loads of people are making the switch to LCD/Plasma, so I'd have to guess there are plenty of perfectly fine sets up for sale.
    It could keep to occupied until you have enough cash for a decent new one.

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hahaha oh what a surprise when i misstyped craiglist.com

11. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm looking now. I'm in the Flint area of Michigan and it's slim pickin's.

:eek:

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

:eek: :p i knooooow,, i was like oh wow, this CAN NOT be what they are talking about.....

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

If you are willing to save your money (quite a lot of it), then you could always get B&O's unbelievably shiny new BeoVision 8. One seriously good TV...