I need a new TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scarlet Fever, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My TV has just kicked the bucket. It was a 68cm (26.7") CRT Sony TV, and had almost 10 years under it. It'll cost way too much to repair it, so i'm getting a new one, and I thought I might ask advice from the MR community before I go out looking.

I'd like something with at least 1 HDMI input, 2 would be better (my DVD player has HDMI in, and I'm thinking I'll get an :apple:TV eventually).
    The hole in my cabinet can hold a TV 86cm (34") wide at the most, so it looks like i'll be looking for an 80cm (31.5") TV.

A couple of questions;
    -Should I be looking for an LCD or a Plasma?
    -What brands/makes do you recommend?

Cheers

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Seemingly up to 42", LCD is better than Plasma.

Sony make nice sets .. :)

3. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I have a Panasonic 42" plamsa with 2xHDMI. I prefer plasma because in my opinion they're better with dark colours and fast motion i.e sports. However - LCD's are quickly closing the gap.
    I've had it nearly 12 months now and sometimes i'm still amazed by its clarity particularly with H/Def images and by it's size. Hung it nicely on a wall.;)

4. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Thanks for the help. I'm going out now to have a look for some. I'll keep Panasonic and Sony in mind :)

EDIT; Just came back. Got the Panasonic VIERA TX-32LXD700A (32" HD Digital LCD). It looks awesome. Now time to save up and buy an AppleTV... :D

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

QVC has a Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P LCD for $1400. Today only.

Here

6. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

i dont know much about apple tvs, but i have a 26"? samsung HDTV, it has 2 hdmi outlets, and a bunch of other component outlets. I would highly reccommend this tv. Game Stop has only samsung tvs in their stores, and you know they are only going to use the best tvs available to make their video games as good as possible. If you are a gamer Samsung is definetly the way to go. Im pretty sure they specialize on that aspect. My tv has a "game mode" setting which makes my games look awesome! The HD channels look magnificent on this tv, and regular cable is not bad at all. I went with higher contrast rather than a bigger screen. I was on a budget. I would stay away from american made tvs if i were you, and stick with the asian made tvs. ( i was going to say japanese but i dont think samsung is japanese made ). Anyway good luck on the tv hunt!

7. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Samsung makes great tvs, IMO Sony overcharges for the same if not lower quality.
    What's your budget?

8. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Thanks for the advice, but i've already bought it :)

The Sony did look lower quality than the others, which was disappointing. i had a look at the Samsungs, but the matte black finish on the Panasonic won me over.

It's the model with the 100Hz refresh rate (Viera TX-32LXD700A). It looks awesome. I have about 2 cm clearance on either side of the hole in the cabinet, so I don't think I could have gotten away with anything bigger than 32" :D

I ended up getting it for just over $2000 AUD, which includes a 3 year warranty and a good HDMI cable.