I need a new webhost

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by xWhiplash, Apr 28, 2010.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Hey everyone!

I am in need of a VERY GOOD web host. I used and still have WebOnce until I move in a few weeks (support has become non existent). What are some very good web hosts? I like to have the price reasonable. Meaning I find unlimited bandwidth and space for $5 a month very suspicious. Right now I pay $50 a month for 200 GB of bandwidth and 7GB of storage. They also have very fast download speeds, so I need that as well.

Somebody mentioned HostGator a while ago, and they are very happy with it. Has anybody used them or heard anything from them?

Thanks you guys for the help!

2. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

My associations use Gate.com. I haven't had too many problems with them since they upgraded their servers. Tech support usually is fairly fast in getting back to me. Control panel is easy to access/use.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I use ipage.com and even though it's very cheap, I have never run into any limits. The service is also first class and the control panel is the easiest I have ever used. Highly recommended!

4. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

I've heard good things about dreamhost.com although I've never used them. I'm looking to switch in May, I may go with them.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use HostGator--very reliable and reasonably priced plans.

6. resom macrumors member

I have been using webhostingbuzz.com for years with no problems

7. th3mus1cman macrumors newbie

Nexcess.net

http://www.nexcess.net/

I personally have been hosting stuff with them for years now and they are top notch. No phone tech support but excellent e-mail support. Usual response time is about 5 to 15 minutes and best of all they are knowledgeable. Nothing worse than having to deal with Godaddy like tech support and having to explain to them how web servers and the Internet work. I am a web developer and have had to deal with a lot of web hosts for clients and Nexcess is a joy to work with.

8. celticpride678

NO!!!!! I used iPage for about three months and they have the worst customer service in the world! My site was crashing more than it was up with them.

Since then, I have switched to JustHost and they are probably one of the best in the business. There servers are extremely fast and the price is very reasonable.

9. quantumdrift macrumors newbie

HostGator

I've been with HostGator for more than 3 years now and have never had a problem. Good speeds and uptime (never had a site go down yet) and very helpful customer service, although I haven't needed them but a few times.

I recommend them highly.

10. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

For what it's worth, I have been using BlueHost for the past 4 years, without any hiccups, to host 7 separate sites. What do you have against spending less money? I pay $7 a month, the support is great, and I haven't had any downtime since i've been with them.
    :)

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hey what do you know, I switched from Just Host to ipage as a result of poor customer service. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

Hostmonster

I use hostmonster and have been extremely happy.

13. eleven2brett macrumors regular

What kind of plan do you have?

14. memco macrumors 6502

For $50 a month, you should look at getting a VPS, it'll give you a nice space of your own to control as you wish. Dreamhost is what I use and they now offer VPS for less than $50, which means that you can get quite a package with them. If you're looking for something different, try MediaTemple. I hear they have great service and support, they offer a very nice package that will give you room to grow.

15. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

http://www.mediatemple.com

For $20 a month you get great bandwidth, and server space. MediaTemple, unlike HostGator and DreamHost, has tons of recognized clients (ABC, Sony, NBC, Toyota) and most importantly DOES NOT oversell like the aforementioned hosts.

Problem with sites like HostGator or DreamHost is they oversell and cannot manage sudden increases in traffic. If your site is only going to get 100 visits a day, and only serving simple html pages, then they're fine. But if you ever expect to get on the front page of Digg or any sort of viral media, your website will be down-for-the-count!

Plus overselling is a bad business model I will NEVER support.

16. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I highly recommend A Small Orange. I've been with them for over a year now, and the have excellent support, and I haven't experienced any downtime yet. Their prices are reasonable IMO.

A Small Orange

Don