Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I have a Konica Minolta PagePro 1350w that has died. The damn thing grabs 20 pages at once when it tries to print and gets jammed every time.

I'm not too upset in that it is a Windows printer (that I found some modified drivers for) so I extended it's life when I migrated from XP to Mac two years ago.

I think I'd prefer a laser over inkjet (because it is more cost effective).

I'm looking for something unobtrusive (light on Mac resources). I had a HP scanner and HP wanted to install a monitor and all sorts of ^%#@ crap that I don't want. I hardly use peripherals (printers, scanners) and prefer to keep them powered off and just turn them on when I need them. I don't need a bunch of cheap-assed software running in the background.

Any ideas?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I currently use a Brother HL-2170W. It's a great little printer with wi-fi and built in network jack. Also there ia a llitle trick you can do to fix your older printer. If you can find the feed roller try cleaning them with a little WD40. It works wonders....

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Also there ia a llitle trick you can do to fix your older printer. If you can find the feed roller try cleaning them with a little WD40. It works wonders....

Clean the roller or something else? Won't WD-40 make the paper slip even more? :confused:

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here
We use an HP LJ1300 for our black network laser printing (Epson 3800 for photo). Works great and none of the bs software you mentioned.

I think the current similar model is the LJ2035, which now has a built in ethernet port.

John

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you are looking for a B&W laser printer I strongly suggest Brother. I have the HL-2070N which has an ethernet connection and I love it. Never had a problem and the drivers are built into Mac OS X 10.5. If you have an earlier version the drivers are small.

I hate HP simply because of their drivers. I have yet to configure an HP product that did not have bloatware for a driver.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Has anyone used a combination-type Brother, the ones with a scanner+FAX+printer? I live in Japan and they are priced very aggressively, often MUCH lower than the same type of machine made by Epson or Canon. I am mostly worried about driver support in Leopard. (can't remember if I even selected the Brother printers when I installed the system (probably not). So I assume I would have to do an Archive and install and all the following updates:eek:

deaathleopards

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2009
Cheap!

If it's just for printing, get the cheapest one possible - people spend hundreds on printers that won't usually be kept for more then 4 years if you look at the statistics. Get a cheap printer and replace it every 2 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.