I need a Printer to...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i-sidd, Oct 18, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

print photos and documents (quality is most important for the photos), is compatible with my macbook and is fast, can be wirelessly print (not very important but would like to have this feature) and lastly is under $100. Also can someone explain if a laser printer is better or an Inkjet which one and why?
    Taking the cost of the ink into consideration, which printer's ink will be cheaper, if I have to increase my budget I will depending on the cost of the inks. I a a noob in this area so please excuse my questions.

So to sum it up, I need a printer which can print both dics and pics, the ink prices should be cheap and the quality of the printer should be really good.

Can anyone recommend something here please.

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

if you want great photos you will need to go ink. True that laser printers have come a long way but their photo output just isnt the same that you get out of an ink printer. I have always used Epson printers as they never fail me and the quality loss overtime is very minimal. I currently have 3 hooked up to my system with 4 more in the stable. I currently have an R1800 which is for my larger 13x19 prints and I also have a picture mate as its great for the quick 4x6 printers. What I did recently pick up is the CX8400. it is an all in one system but the photos that come off of it rival my old Styles Photo 870 which the CX8400 replaced for deskspace reasons. It also prints docs very fast. The downside to it is that it isnt the quietest printer in the world. But the tradeoffs in speed, quality and onboard memory card reader outweight the noise.

I was able to pick the CX8400 up for $79 and their is one model below this one that does not have the small lcd screen (my mother in law loves the photo screen) which goes for about $69. It is a 4 ink cartridge system and the inks cost about $13 a piece. I do not know the life of each cartridge as I have not used one up yet but I have read that it is very good.

Just a few thoughts to get you on your way.

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Although peeaanuut gave you some very good reasons to get an Epson (and I also use Epson and like them), he didn't answer your question in terms of wireless. To get a printer with wireless built-in, you'll need to spend more than $100. And with the current state of OS X print drivers, you _do_ want to buy the printer with wireless or ethernet built-in. Manufacturers only provide drivers capable of network printing for the models that have built-in networking. Using a print server or Windows shared printer requires use of third-party "CUPS" drivers. The only CUPS drivers suitable for photo printing are from www.printfab.net ($60). So, get a printer that comes with a network-able driver.
    HTH
    Although I have 3 Epsons, I think you'd be equally satisfied with Canon printers.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I have a Canon ip6310D that I picked up new on eBay (original, unopened box) for $35. Photo prints are fantastic! My husband and I each print wirelessly to it from our macbooks via the airport. I'd buy a Canon any day over anything else.Their ink prices seem to be less than most other brands as well. And, you only have to change out the ink color that is depleted -- not the entire cartridge if only one color is gone. Lots of other printers need the entire cartridge changed rather than just one color. Saves money there!

5. -Alan- macrumors member

6. samuraikiss macrumors regular

I own an HP Photosmart D7360, and the photo quality is exceptional. Just like the Canon mentioned above, I have five colors inks -- yellow, light cyan, cyan, light magenta, and magenta -- that allow me to only change one when it gets depleted. HP also offers a photo pack with the five color inks, black ink, and 100 sheets of 4x6 paper for $35.