I need a program to put video over a picture...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PowerFullMac, Aug 31, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I want to take a photo of a TV then put a video over the screen so it looks like its being watched on the TV, but iMovie '06 wont do it and obviously iMovie '08 wont, so does anyone know a free or even trial program I can get that will let me do it?

Thanks in advance!

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i think u will need to green screen the tv too

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I have seen programs that will take a still image and insert a video into them, it was done a lot here.

Thing is, they are expensive and they have no demo versions, so thats why I am asking here.

4. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you can do this in Final Cut (I use FCE 4) by putting the image into the timeline then setting the duration which you want to picture to show. then using a matte(?) over the screen and put your video into the timeline over the picture and resize / adjust the position of the video to fit inside of the TV screen. I'm still learning final cut express 4 so don't flame me for giving incorrect info.

5. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Final Cut Express aint cheap, though.

I will ask my uncle, though, he has piles of Apple software coz he works for a Apple IT company.

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Adobe does a 30-day trial of After Effects. Use that.

7. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks! :)

Downloading now!

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

There is, of course, the very low-tech solution of actually videotaping the TV while you play the desired clip on it. Depending on the type of TV, you may have to experiment with the shutter speed to prevent the result from flickering (it should be easiest with an LCD TV).

Taking a still picture and compositing a video onto it is certainly possible, but if you want to make it look real, it may take some tweaking.

- Martin

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

How would I go about that then?

The TV is LCD, yes, and I dont mind if it looks fake, its for a zero-budget parody film.

10. tjh1124 macrumors newbie

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hmm... I decided to just use the After Effects trial if I really need to do it, I found another way to do what I wanted, not as cool as I wanted it to be but I was able to do it with Gimp.

Thanks for all your help, guys! :)

12. WonderWhat macrumors newbie

How'd you do it with GIMP? I've been trying for, like, two months and I still haven't figured it out.

13. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

people that don't have high end stuff but do want to compose something should use keynote. Just put a tv as background (make sure it's pretty square) and put the video in it. Export the keynote as a video.

14. xStep macrumors 68000

I believe you can do this with QuickTime Pro too by importing a picture with transparency and setting where in the layer it appears. Look for online guides that describe adding a logo via QuickTime Pro.