I need a recovery program asap!

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I need a program, preferably free, that can retrieve deleted files and folders (beyond Trash). My "Pictures" folder suddenly disappeared taking with it iPhoto's and Photo Booth's libraries!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Stop using your computer now. Shut it down. Every single thing you do may be overwriting some of your data. Go and get on another computer now.

Done that? Good?

Now download your choice of recovery program. I suggest FileSalvage. It's saved my ass in the past...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I like Data Rescue II. It's a bit pricey, though.

And what the person above said. Shut down NOW and get on another computer, or AT LEAST on another boot drive/partition (and immediately eject the partition/drive with the deleted data on it).

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
I like Data Rescue II. It's a bit pricey, though.

And what the person above said. Shut down NOW and get on another computer, or AT LEAST on another boot drive/partition (and immediately eject the partition/drive with the deleted data on it).
thanks for the help guys. i tried FileSalvage but I don't think it's what I hoped for. I used it but I couldn't locate the .xml, .data, .iphoto, etc... files that were essential in preserving my previous iPhoto library. I need the entire "Pictures" folder intact is what I'm trying to say. That's the folder that magically vanished from my computer and caused this great pain. FileSalvage found a lot of picture files though, but I already have the originals backed up to another external. I only needed the files that would tell iPhoto how I've organized and tagged those pictures, else I have to import every picture I have (in the thousands) and add those tags and comments and categorization fields to every one of them again, which is how it's starting to look like now.