I need a remote access/theft app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tydog07, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I've read stories about people who have had their macs stolen and then they get it returned because they can locate the theft by seeing screen shots of what they are doing on the mac and also can GPS locate and see through the webcam, so what apps can do that for me? Is there anything that can do that for free?

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Check out this useful Mac AppStorm post. It reviews 4 apps of this kind :)

3. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting, I'll take a look, it may be well worth it to spend the money.

4. Tydog07, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just downloaded/installed/setup Prey, and it looks like an awesome program, I really think that I will be able to recover my macbook with this software, but we shall see. I will use this program in the interim of looking into the three other pay options, thank you for the quick response!

EDIT: Is anyone noticing the problem with the alert function because mine will alert me every 20 minutes and the alarm goes off.

5. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really am liking the prey protection app and will probably stick with it, although I go to thinking about something:

Should I take the lock off my account so that if it gets stolen, the theft will be able to login and go onto wifi and the internet and use it so I can get screenshots and webcam shots? I don't have anything too private or compromising.

6. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I use "iAlertU", great application. Sends pics to my email when the alarm is set off.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Just set up another account that is not password protected or turn on guest accounts. Hopefully a thief will try to use one of those.

8. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll take a look at that, thanks!

I'll add a guest account, hopefully a thief would go for that, will that slow down my mac at all?