I need a review on a ssd before purchasing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jye0325, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jye0325 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I recently bought a MBP and I want to upgrade it to a ssd. Theres a deal on Newegg 180gb SSD by OCZ for $120.

Name:
    OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-180G 2.5" 180GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have read reviews about OCZ drives and some of them weren't that very convincing for me to buy. Can I get some insight on this drive from your own experience, if you have used it, or do you recommend me buying it or not? And would I need to buy a 3.5" tray to upgrade my MBP with this 2.5" SSD or no?
    Thank You!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. simsaladimbamba

I don't have experiences with the Agility series, I have two Vertex SSDs though, one Vertex 2 in my 2007 iMac and one Vertex 3 in my 2009 MBP and they have been running without problems for quite some time.

As for the 3.5" adapter, MBPs use 2.5" S-ATA HDDs, thus no adapter is needed.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

4. jye0325 thread starter macrumors newbie

After reading your guides, I am little bit confused. I have to backup my HDD before upgrading to a SSD? And can't I just plug in my SSD into my MacBook Pro and then install Mountain Lion from a USB

5. simsaladimbamba

No need to backup, you can just do what you want. I just included the backup steps for people, who do backups. If you have important data, you should back it up, HDDs and SSDs CAN fail.

6. jye0325 thread starter macrumors newbie

After reading the reviews on AnandTech and Amazon, I feel like I should forfeit the extra 60gb and go with a samsung 830 or a sandisk extreme instead!
    And oh okay. If I place in the SSD and boot up the MacBook, does cmd +r still work so I can download the Mountain Lion since I don't have a big enough flash drive?