I need a school project idea.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Old Wembley, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Old Wembley macrumors member

I'm in an excellerated learning class (gifted). We have a project due a few months from now. I just have an idea soon though so I can get started. I would love to hav it involve technology. Any ideas?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Is it a computer science project, a woodworking project? What are the requirements/assignment objectives?

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Assuming this is middle or high school:

How about a Mac or iPhone app that's like a student handbook + other info about the school in one app? Floor plan, phone numbers and email addresses for principal, teachers, etc... school address, directions to school, clickable links to various departments (health/wellness, athletics, the library, etc), links to the official student conduct rules, bell schedule, lunch schedule, class schedule (i.e. what times/days if using a block system), a notes page to store miscellaneous information in it.

Or design some kind of basic simple alarm that's USB-powered with the date/time/repeating/snooze coded in either software or through hardware toggles.

Lots of possibilities.

4. Old Wembley thread starter macrumors member

We can do pretty much anything we want. And he's this project is for high school

5. AngryApple macrumors 6502

If the app idea doesn't work out, you could write a program and install it on all the school computers.

6. Old Wembley thread starter macrumors member

I don't know a ton of code unfortunatly. Just the basics. I might want to follow the design of that alarm clock. Any other suggestions in that category?

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Take a look at the arduino board. www.arduino.cc The coding doesn't need be very complicated to make something very cool or useful.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=projects/0

You can look here for some inspiration. You're going to spend quite a bit of time on it, you might as well find a project that's worth investing the time on. Hey, if you're digging a clock design, you can look at various ways to wake you up.

Wow I'm way to artsy to be studying engineering haha.

Actually I once had a similar assignment in high school, I made an aluminium foundry, you can look that up too. It's in a completely different sphere but you haven't posted a lot about yourself. It takes quite a lot of time to build and learn the ins and outs and can be fairly dangerous, be warned if that interests you.