I need a Shaman to help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by musette, Nov 5, 2011.

1. musette, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

musette macrumors newbie

Hello! I'm a neurotic perfectionist, insane, kind of apple user:D So pardon me if my questions seem silly.
    That said,I need to buy a new mac because my old tank-panzer powerbook g4 15" has a dead hard drive and a battery which should be replaced,but I really don't know what to choose.I've made a list of pros and cons and still can't decide.:rolleyes:

I'm writing in this forum using an old bluebarry which I bought eleven years ago :apple:

The facts are:

1) I would like to buy a macbook or an Imac
    2) I would like to buy a used 2008 black intel macbook
    3) I would like to buy a used white intel Imac 24
    4) I would like to buy a NEW black macbook/pro/air if it will be released next year but I don't know if apple is going to release it and when.
    5) I would like to buy a a NEW white Intel Imac with a glass screen ( I don't need/like the matt one) if they'r going to release it in the future but I don't know if/when they're going to sell it.

So...I think I really need a shaman or apple guru who could predict the future or a very well informed in the know person LOL who could TRY to predict it. Any suggestions for me? Is it worth waiting next year or is it more logical to buy a used Macbook/iMac for the moment? And if it's better a used one which one?

help me!! if you can:p

2. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

Well, seeing as how no one has replied yet, I'll take a crack at it:

You really, deep down, want a new Mac, but no one knows what the new MacBook Pros or iMac are going to look like.

Clearly, you are a patient person, since you have happily been using a Powerbook G4 and a G3 iMac lo these many years.

So, buy used, the cheaper the better, and wait to see if what is introduced appeals to you. Then dump the old gear off on Craig's List or on a loving relative.

Or... buy a brand new, shiny MacBook Air, and stop worrying so much. You'll have the hottest laptop on the planet, and be the envy of all your friends. Life will be good.

Either way, you've got a new Mac in your future! Breathe deeply, relax and enjoy!

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

1. If you can afford new Macs:

1) If you need mobility, buy a NEW MacBook Pro or a NEW MacBook Air.
    2) If you do not need mobility, buy a NEW iMac or a NEW Mac Mini plus a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display.

2. If you can not afford new Macs:

Buy any used Mac that can catch your eye from the refurbish store at www.apple.com.

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Do you want something mobile or not?

That's the first decision you have to make. Narrowing it down from there won't be as hard. ;)

5. iRCL macrumors 6502

This shaman suggests the chance of Apple releasing an iMac or MBP that isn't aluminum is 0%.

6. musette, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

musette thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much shaman...:) your answer is interesting indeed, you brought this Alice in wonderland to ask you: is there any chance of Apple releasing a black/aluminum MBP or MB?
    ;)

----------

Thanks for answering! I need both :D since I'm using a bluebarry( bad youtube no flash... lol) and I've a dead powerbook.If Apple is not going to release a new black aluminum mbp or mb next year I think the one I need most is a used black macbook if they are going to release a black mb I can wait till they do it and buy a used Imac for now.

----------

Thanks for your answer, I can afford ONE new mac only at the moment and maybe one used.The problem is I don't want any gray aluminum "thing" without ethernet ports.I know I'm a pain in the neck...but design and colors are my priority.

----------

Clearly I'm patient:D
    thanks! I'm breathing deeply, your suggestion to buy a used one then dump it if a new thing will be introduced is wonderful, :) I'm really thinking about that. A new macbook air would be great even if it's gray, I don't know... surely...life will be good even with the best gray mac:confused:, but maybe I need something more complete and I don't need portability that much.As the shaman said there is no chance that they're going to release a white iMac again so maybe I'm going to buy that one first.Uhm...

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Get a base model 13" MBP on a black friday sale and pick up an external monitor.

This combo lets you do anything. The 13" 2011 MBP's are extremely powerful. This model will give you portability and upgradability. You can add up to 16GB of RAM and also add either a super fast SSD or a super large 750 or 1TB hard drive depending on your needs - these upgrades don't violate warranty. When you need a bigger monitor to work or edit photos or watch movies you simply plug in a monitor.

This shaman says that for a perfectionist you need something that will meet yor current and future needs - power, portability, storage space, large monitor...

8. iRCL macrumors 6502

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I just picked up a black Macbook for my daughter at Microcenter. It was a refurb and cost $629 including 2GB of RAM and I don't remember the HDD space. I'm planning to put in an SSD but only if she complains about battery life. Microcenter also has white Macbooks and their prices range from $499 for one with a paltry 512 MB of RAM to about $699 for an iMac. They might even have white plastic iMacs available as well. These are lease turn-ins and come with a 90 day warranty. There is a local shop that sells lease turn in Macs but they charge too much and have a no returns (replacements only) policy. So I went with Microcenter.

Rather than basing your decision on how much you can afford, perhaps if you focus on what you need you might have some money left for something else you need rather than buying two Macs at once. I have an early 2008 white Macbook. I was tempted, I mean really tempted when this years' new Macbook Pros came out with those 6000+ Geekbench scores but I don't need one so I continue to use what I have. I did, however upgrade my RAM and I put in a 500GB 7200RPM/4GB SSD hybrid drive and my boot times are faster and most applications launch nearly instantly.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Let me see... You haven't bought a new computer in six years now, is that basically correct? But at the same time, you claim to be a "neurotic perfectionist"? Somehow, that seems to be slightly exaggerated regarding your glacial hardware upgrade cycles...

I don't think you need anybody to "predict" future when it comes to hardware. After all, the old box worked fine for you for more than half a decade, so you obviously do NOT need the latest and greatest and you rather obviously are NOT a power user of any sort, or you would already have the latest and greatest. So I think that anything with a 64-Bit Intel CPU in it (which is almost every Mac produced since late 2006) will be perfectly fine for you. Buy a used MacBook Pro or a used MacBook Air.

11. musette, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

musette thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I don't understand why I can't be a neurotic perfectionist without the latest mac.However, I'm not a power user that's for sure since I've been using final cut,lightroom,dreamweaver exc...on a powerbook g4 till now. :D Thanks for the suggestions but, as it's written in my first post, I'm not looking for a gray macbook or macbook pro of any sort.It HAS to be black whether used or NEW.;) I Just wondered about future products because I wanted to know if they were going to release a black macbook before buying a used one.

----------

Thank you very much for your suggestions! But I think these offers are for US only? I live outside of the US.
    I need both a notebook for work and an iMac for music, movies,pictures,webdesign etc at home.Surely, I'm not going to buy both the same day:) But I really need either a notebook and a desktop.(Maybe I need a desktop a little bit more.)

----------

thanks!, but I'm an apple fundamentalist.Don't want a customized thing

----------