I need a SMALL mouse - ladie's hand size :)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by RuthAdele, Sep 15, 2008.

1. RuthAdele macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Can anyone help me? i'm looking for a mouse for my new mac, i do alot of photographic editing, so i need something thats fairly high performance. Everything i have found so far is absolutely huge, it seems they only make them for a man-sized hand. And since i'm a lady and i have little hands, i need something that is 10cm in length at the most. i'd prefer something even smaller, but i'm starting to doubt that i'll ever find anything.

I've tried using a tablet, but i was totally useless. i think it was a apple tablet. is there a lot of difference between these and the wacom tablets (for example)? And i'm assuming you'd get used to the movement of them. I'm so used to using a mouse, that i seem to find this rather hard :)
    Any advice?

Thanks!

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

well theres no mac small mouses

i say take a look at those microsoft wireless ones, i dont know the model but theres those really small ones USB wireless

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

4. RuthAdele thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm after something thats more suitable for graphic design/editing photographs. do you think my best bet is to try and get the hang of a tablet? if no ones designed a mouse for female designers/gamers.....

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

My wife used to use a small Microsoft notebook mouse at work (mostly InDesign and Dreamweaver). She really liked it and it was quite small, yet fully functional.

I would suggest you just go to an electronics store and try out a bunch until you find one that fits your hand. There are plenty of small ones. Apple's Mighty Mouse isn't terribly small, but it isn't overly bulky, either.

The only problem with getting a tablet is the learning curve. Its a very different feel and it will take longer for you to get used to using it.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Ruth,

I suggest trying a tablet. Lots of threads on different types. I have a 4x6 which I find small and I want to get the 6x8 widescreen.

I edit my own photography pics and using the tablet is dead easy. It does take some time getting used, but after some training with patience, it rocks.

I'd also suggest getting one with additional buttons on the tablet for presets. Very handy.

Ask a local store what their return policy is if you don't like it, but I have a feeling you will.

cheers,
    Keebler

7. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

What about the old iMac mouses? You could find one on eBay. You could also go to Wal-Mart or Target and look for a laptop-sized mouse. It will work fine with the Mac.

8. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I have large hands

Small mice don't appeal to me so I can't say I've tried any of the ones listed. It is possible, to use mice marketed for PCs on the Mac as long as they are USB. I am not recommending linked stores. If a particular model appeals to you, search Google for reviews and other outlets for the best price. You can also search the term "micro mouse usb" for additional suggestions. Amazon has a reasonable return policy and free shipping with minimum purchase and helpful consumer reviews. You might also search there for more products using the same term.

Micro Innovations Optical Wireless Mouse

Micro Travel Mouse

Logitech Optical Notebook Mouse Plus

Personally, I would investigate trackballs instead of mice.

Attached Files:

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You must have an extremely small hand?

You should get a wired mouse or learn to use tablet.

I suggest going to electronic stores and try out the mouse they have.

10. Rondue macrumors regular

*says this in his PALIN voice "Not all women have small hands"

with that said check out the Microsoft Arc mouse

11. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Have you looked at notebook mice? There are plenty of small mice available but some may be even too small for you since these mice are very compact. There are USB mice as well as wireless with the latter giving you a choice between Bluetooth and the usual 2.4Ghz wireless. Personally I prefer Bluetooth and tend to stay away from 2.4.

12. covisio macrumors 6502

covisio

I've used a Microsoft Optical Notebook mouse for some years now and can't fault it.
    Size is approximately 90mm x 50mm.
    I am not a lady, but I do have fairly small hands for a bloke.

13. RuthAdele thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so i've given up on trying to find a good mouse. however i've had a good try on a wacom bamboo tablet and i think i'll get there with a little bit of practise.
    Which tablet would you suggest as best action / price?

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Do you not find the Mighty Mouse thats ships with the computer small? Its not one of those unusable midget size notebook mice, but it is definitely designed for those with small hands.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Nice try, Jerry!

[​IMG]

If you're still interested, you could try searching for mice aimed at children, if you can bear the colours! ;)

E.g. Kiddie Mice

17. aitchaitch macrumors newbie

Small mouse

I'm a designer who kept buying the Macally iOptiJr mouse because I have small hands, work endless hours, and the mouse is very lightweight (2.4oz). For the last year or so, I primarily work on a Intel Mac Pro running Panther. After some troubleshooting, it could be that my Macally iOptiJr might be the source of my keyboard/mouse flaking out on occasion. Since it just started happening a month or so ago, I do not know if it because the mouse is old or if it is simply a coincidence (esp. since the failure is intermittant). The mouse was inexpensive (15-20 USD)

I don't think the mouse is available through Macally anymore, but I still see it offered on the web.

Right now I am using the wired Mighty Mouse that came with the system, but as I discovered when I first got the machine, the weight and shape of that mouse has caused quite a deal of pain in my thumb, so I will have to find an alternative if I can't get or use Macally iOptiJr mice successfully again with this system. The pain starts after less than 5 hours of work.

18. aitchaitch macrumors newbie

UPDATE: The Macally iOptiJr mouse does not pose an inherent issue on the Intel Mac Pro. Another of Macally iOptiJris mice is now working just fine on that machine, so I gave a false concern about its functionality.

19. AverageJane macrumors newbie

An unfilled niche

For the last year and a bit I have been using a Targus (model AMU36CAZ) which fits my size small hand perfectly. Lately though, the mouse has become possessed and needs to be retired. I am surprised that with computers so commonplace a variety of mouse sizes are not readily available. :confused:

20. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the Logitech VX Nano.

Great mouse. Small and excellent battery life (talking about 250+ days on a single set of batteries) and solid laser tracking.

21. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

+1

That's what I would recommend. :)

22. RickDeckard macrumors newbie

I realize this thread is from a year ago, and you've probably moved on to a tablet, but the Macalley DotMouse is pretty small. My wife ordered mine through work when my mighty mouse bit the dust, and it's almost too small for me. For reference, my men's glove size would be between a medium and a large - medium for the length, and large for the width.

The mouse is about 4.25" long, 2.25" wide, and 1.5" high. It works great, tracks tons faster than the mighty mouse, and is a lot more accurate, so it took a while to get used to it. The first several times playing COD4 was an experience, it moved so fast I actually made myself sick.

It's a great mouse, however, I think I need to buy one that's a bit bigger.