I need a terabyte

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gsfgf, Feb 29, 2008.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

I know hard drive questions been asked ad nauseum, but this one has a twist.

I just got my sexy new MP a little while ago. I decided it was time for me to retire my faithful Maxtor 200GB drive. It served well, but it's at least 5 years old and originally ran Linux on an athlon system, so I can't imagine it's going to last much longer. I have it as a Time Machine, but don't want to use it for regular storage. Between copying that stuff over, installing Vista (what is in that thing? 6gigs!) and the orange box, and other miscellaneous junk, the included 320GB drive is completely full.

So I think I'm going to get a terabyte drive. Since I also need a new router an am planning on getting an Airport soon anyway, I could get a Time Capsule with 1TB built in. (See, the twist!) However, I can't see the advantage as I have no problem seeing my MP over the network, plus wouldn't it be slower over ethernet than SATA? My MP does use SATA, right?

So unless y'all recommend otherwise, I'm probably going to go for an internal drive. Will any SATA drive work in the MP? Who makes the best drives these days? My Maxtor outlasted two computers, but they seem to be owned by Segate now, and I know nothing about Segate. While most of my stuff, such as programs and old gamesaves, isn't really that important and I have a Time Machine that covers ~/Documents, reliability isn't huge huge for me, but I might put an OS on the drive, and it always sucks when a hard drive goes down.

There are a lot of drives out there, so what should I look for. There seems to be an option for OEM or Retail. OEM seems cheaper, is there any reason not to get OEM? Are some drives faster than others? Is 7200 rpm still the fastest? Is there a brand that's better? All advice welcome, I haven't really bought computer parts since I got my first mac. I guess it's that whole "Just Works" thing.

Now it comes to actually buying the durn thing. I could just go to Best Buy and buy whatever they have and even get a "protection plan," but then, I would be a sucker. :) Where do y'all buy components thee days? I used to use firstsource.com, but that web site nopw redirects to a site for call centers in India. (Top serious) I hear people talking about Newegg. Are they as good as anyone? Is there somewhere else that's cheaper?

Thanks for any advice,
    gsfgf

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

newegg gets my buisness. They're cheap, tons of user reviews on their products, and quick shipping. If I need it overnight, I'll go with CDW.com because they're in the same city and offer overnight "courier" service with a 10:30am arrival time, for around $10.

Read the reviews on the drive before you buy it. Hard drives are almost hit or miss nowadays, especially these gigantic ones.

For my 1GB drives, I'm going to go with the Western Digital Re2 "Green Power" Drives in external firewire or SATA storage. They're a tad slower, but run very cool and quiet.

3. amik macrumors regular

4. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

I hadn't even considered RAID. Would RAID 0 be noticeably faster than one big drive? Does a RAID card actually cost $800 (the bto cost at the apple store)?

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

I think getting raid would be a good idea. I don't know about the quality of the RAID controller Apple is offering, but everything you get BTO is bloody expensive. I think you could get a normal RAID controller for let's say 100 USD or so, so alltogheter it wouldn't cost you that much more in the end, since 500 GB drives are much cheaper per gigabyte compared to 1T drives. The configuration would also be faster for sure.

But you have to be aware of the downsides too. Two drives mean twice the chance of failure (if one drive fails in raid 0, all your data is history), more noise and heat.

EDIT: Perhaps this link can help, hope it's not wrong to link to "competition" ^^.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

500gb = $100
    750gb = $150 to $160
    1tb = much more expensive per GB

I would get two 500gb or 750gb
    with at least 3 year warranty.

You can do software raid, but if you don't know the risks / benefits, don't do it.

7. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

9. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

On Newegg, a 500 GB drive with 16mb cache is about $100, while a 500 GB drive with 32mb cache is about $145. Is it worth it to get the extra cache?

And do drives come with a cable these days or will I need to order one separately?

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I believe the beauty of the mac pro drives is that you don't need cables? BTW, the Samsung 750GB with 32MB cache is only $140 on newegg right now...

11. snagitseven macrumors member

I've got three 1TB F1's and they run circles around the WD500 that came with the MP. Very fast and VERY quiet. Got 'em from Newegg. their drives arrive in 2 days to the east coast.

12. gsfgf thread starter macrumors member

I haven't had a Samsung drive in a while (last one was 3.2GB). How does their quality compare to WD and Segate?

13. vdrummer macrumors newbie

http://www.storagereview.com/
    is a great source for quality info (free registration). Avoid those drives that are more likely to fail - that's where the real cost is, IMHO.