I Need A Video Camera That Works!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by allymmpink, Sep 28, 2008.

1. allymmpink macrumors newbie

allymmpink

Hi there everyone.
    I currently have a iMac Intel Core Duo, Final Cut Express HD and a simple miniDV camera, which works fine, but quality is disgusting.
    Therefore, I am looking for an HD video camera, that obviously works with fce.
    I know that the canon hv20 works, but I cant find one for the price I want.
    Do the models:
    - Sony HDR-HC3
    - Canon HV10
    or - Sony HDR - HC5
    work without having to change too many settings or without difficulty?
    Or do you have a camera that works fantastically with great quality?
    Please, tell me!
    Thanks.
    Ally
    :apple:

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The models you list will all work great with a C2D Mac, but have been superseded by updated versions:

HV10 -> HV20 -> HV30
    HC3 -> HC5 -> HC9

As well as tape-based camcorders, you might also consider the current crop of AVCHD camcorders:

Canon HF100, HF10, HF11
    Sony SR10, SR11, SR12
    Panasonic SD9, SD100, HS9, HS100

These all record high definition video to hard drive or SD card (depending on the model). Recent AVCHD camcorders have reached the giddy heights of HDV for picture quality (esp. the Canon and Sony lines) so it's really a matter of first choosing whether you want tape or tapeless, then trying out the different models on offer.

All play perfectly nicely with the Mac.

Andrew.

3. rfb macrumors member

Are you sure?

I just got off the phone with Mac, and he insisted that the Sony HDR-HC5 is not supported. I am getting my MacBook to see the camera, but it is just blue when I try to import. Any suggestions before I give up?

4. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Canon HV10

My buddy (also a Mac user) just got a Canon HV10 and that thing is crispy. The quality is really good.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I had a Sony HC1 which was recently damaged in a fire. I used to use it with iMovie. I loved the camera and am now looking for a substitute myself. I would like to have both tape and tapeless so that I can quickly pull stuff off, but hold onto the minidv tape for archiving. Any ideas on what's out there?