I need a way to restore my apps on a fresh Snow leopard installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NicEXE, Dec 22, 2009.

1. NicEXE macrumors newbie

I am on my Macbook Pro 17 with an HDD of about 350 GB.
    My HDD is Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled) formated with Snow Leopard installed.
    I want to make a fresh Snow Leopard installation on the HDD formated as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but I don't want to lose my applications (it takes too much time to download/install all those)
    I need a way to get my apps back after/while installing Snow Leopard.

What I am thinking is clone my HDD to another blank HDD that I have (about 600 GB) and while installing Snow Leopard chose to transfer my applications. I could also use the Migration Assistant after Snow Leopard is installed (I am not really sure that those options will be possible)

I need to know if making a clone of my HDD and then transfer the applications is possible and how can I get it done (what software is needed?)
    If that's not possible, how do you suggest me to transfer my applications to the fresh Snow Leopard installation?

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Whatever you do, it would be prudent to go through every app and note down registration codes. A PITA as a one off, no hassle after that if done when you register.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can clone your HDD via CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper, but I don't know if the Migration Assistant will recognize them and can copy the applications correctly.
    If they are not complicated apps like Adobe products or other software that has quite extensive installation processes, you may just copy them back from your clone via normal Finder functions like drag and drop.

A Time Machine backup though will allow Migration Assistant to restore the Applications folder in full, and all the associated Library folders that came with it.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, clone the drive to another drive, then do your install. When SL reboots transfer back from the clone drive using Migration Assistant.

5. NicEXE thread starter macrumors newbie

Case-Sensitive, Journaled - Journaled compatibility

I forgot to ask: Will the Transfer option work for restoring apps from a case-sensitive volume to a non case sensitive volume?