I need advice! Broadwell - Is it worth the wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imtheman, Oct 7, 2014.

  1. imtheman macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2014
    #1
    Hello, I'm going to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia this december and I've decided I would like to buy a 13" rMBP 256gb there, since it is a lot more cheaper than here in my country. I have also heard a new line of rMBP will be released on February 2015 with Broadwell processor.

    Should I buy the mid 2014 one or just wait for the new one?
     
  2. Team Timm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2012
    Location:
    FL
    #2
    Are you in need of one now or can you wait for it? If there is no need and you want the updated processor, it'll be worth the wait.
     
  3. imtheman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2014
    #3
    I am a university student. While I am not that desperate to have one so soon, my current non-apple laptop is dying.
     
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #4
    We just don't know.

    We do know that broadwell will deliver some energy efficiency and better graphics, will it be game changing?? probably not!! Unless you are a gamer and even then not so much as a dGPU.

    The appropriate chips for rMBP may not arrive until the 2nd quarter of 2015 so that may be more like April or May for an update even as late as June.

    If you need one the current crop are fantastic machines and will see you good for a fair few years to come.
     
  5. Team Timm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2012
    Location:
    FL
    #5
    Well I'm one of those people who likes to have what I want/need now. I couldn't wait for the Broadwell update refresh so I picked up a mid-2014 recently to upgrade from my 2011 MBA (which was given to my wife).
     
  6. imtheman thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2014
    #6
    What are your thoughts on the machine? Are you happy about it?
     
  7. UPBaylor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2014
    #7
    Considering that MBP holds it's value pretty well, have you tried to estimate the incremental cost of buying now, then selling next year and buying the newer model? If you lose $500, then your cost would be about $40/month to have the latest/greatest available at the time.

    (I have no idea if that $500 estimate is accurate, but maybe some others can chime in.)
     
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #8
    Late 2013

    I have the late 2013 13 2,6ghz 8gb 512 SSD it is an amazing piece of kit, it has handled everything I have asked speedily and with aplomb.

    I am only a casual gamer and don't do any sort of video rendering or photoshop but for everyday use and media consumption it is brilliant both on it's own and to an external screen.
     

Share This Page