I need advice(can boot into recovery and download mode only)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by mclld, May 24, 2014.

1. mclld macrumors 68000

I got an Att GS4 from a friend and it won't do anything but I can get into stock Android recovery and download mode. Should I try to flash a factory image first?

2. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Is it rooted? If so then yes...just flash a stock rom and you are good to go......

3. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

4. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

5. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

It can be rooted if there is no OS.

6. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

almost...it still has remnants of what image was on it last. Not all images can be rooted now. It it had one of the updated images like KitKat....it might not be rootable.

7. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

I am familiar with odin and have flashed several roms, I just wanted to make sure my best option in this situation

8. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Not following you here. Root only affects system.img -- which appears to be missing if the OP can't boot into the OS. All that should be needed to flash a custom ROM is an unlocked bootloader (though usually not required when flashing a factory ROM).

Admittedly, I've not much experience with Samsung devices; but I don't see why it would differ fundamentally from other manufacturers.

Looks like you will need to flash a ROM, whether it be via Odin or Kies.

9. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I see what your saying now....I think your right. But I have never had an phone without a OS.
    My assumption was there was something wrong with the phone and it would not boot.....so it already has an image or OS on it but was having trouble booting.

10. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

And that could be the case as well. I've run into issues with the system image corrupting or me accidentally deleting it while trying to clear cache/dalvik inside TWRP or CWM, so that's where my mind went first. Either way, flashing a factory image should reveal whether it actually is a hardware issue or not.

11. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

12. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Let us know how it goes :)

13. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

It acts like it will do it in odin then it will fail

14. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

If you are using the latest Odin try with older version, different USB port won't hurt also.

15. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I would try flashing a custom ROM next. Unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery, then push customrom.zip to /sdcard via ADB (TWRP and CWM both allow you to do this).

16. mclld thread starter macrumors 68000

I am not familiar with unlocking the boot loader, can you give me a good link?

17. Stooby Mcdoobie, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Looks like the AT&T GS4 bootloader can't actually be unlocked, but there is an exploit to safestrap around it and flash a custom recovery. Search for Loki exploit on Google/XDA.