I need advice on 1st Gen ipod touch as it wont start up.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Atrosityy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Atrosityy macrumors newbie

My ipod touch will not start up even tho i have repeatedly held power button and the button on the front of the ipod, it only goes to the picture which displays the usb cable and the itunes sign so i can easily tell it wants me to connect it to itunes. I plug it into the computer and the acer laptop im using makes the sound to show that the laptop itself has recognised the ipod but itunes will not recognise it. What do i do? If i have to restore my ipod i will loose everything on it and another factor which annoys me to think about is i have spent over £70 on itunes on the ipod since the last time i synced it to a pc and another factor that annoys the hell outta me is that the computer i have originally synced it to is an old pc that ran out of memory so i deleted all the songs that i previously had on it and that i synced to my ipod. The previous times i had it connected to the laptop i quickly cancelled the sync process to it never synced and deleted all my songs. I have been charging it via Ps3 and Xbox 360 everytime it needed charged. I would also like to know if all my songs that i purchased on the ipod are deleted will itunes supply another copy of the songs free of charge as i have previously bought them and i have proof via emails of these purchases. Please guys help me fix this as i use my ipod everyday and its my main source of music and apps.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Get SharePod (http://www.getsharepod.com/) and see if it can recover anything from your ipod.

If that doesn't work, get ifunbox (http://www.i-funbox.com/) and, hmmm, is your Touch jailbroken or not? The path might be a bit different depending on whether it is or not. On a jailbroken Touch the path is /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control. If it isn't jailbroken, there aren't a lot of directories that are accessible so just open everything until you find the iTunes_Control folder. Copy that folder to your PC. You said you have no music in your iTunes on the PC? If so, just drag the folder into iTunes. If you have any music on your iTunes, this might create duplicates, but well, that's what you get for keeping your main music collection on your ipod. iPods aren't meant to hold the only copy of your music -- always keep a backup at home!

You can redownload all apps you've previously purchased for free. Make sure your computer is signed in and authorized to the iTunes account you used to purchase them. Songs purchased from iTunes, you may be able to get Apple customer service to authorize a one-time free redownload if you catch them on a good day.