Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steagles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I have an iPhone 3G running iOS 4 not jailbroken. I previously was running a jailbroken 3.1.3 from Spirit, when I accidentally upgraded. So I attempted to go back to 3.1.3 by a factory restore, but it still installed iOS 4. I have a custom ispw ready to install, so I guess my question is can I downgrade (plz tell how if I can) to 3.1.3 and then install it? Or can I just restore to the custom firmware? If so, please explain. I can use most any program as I am on my MacBook right now (Snow Leopard) but have a PC (Windows 7) as well.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Jason

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
Unless you have 3.1.2 SHSH's saved, you cannot downgrade to use a custom iOS4 IPSW. If you have your 3.1.3 SHSH saved, you can downgrade to that, and re-jailbreak with Spirit.

Bottom line if you don't have either of those saved, you are stuck with iOS4 stock until a new JB is released. Apple stopped signing 3.1.3 a little while ago.

Steagles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
So am I free to use any jailbreak utility now? So whenever someone releases a jailbreak utility that can jailbreak an installed OS I can use it? And does anyone have an idea to when that will be for anything (Spirit, Sn0w, Ra1n)?

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
So am I free to use any jailbreak utility now? So whenever someone releases a jailbreak utility that can jailbreak an installed OS I can use it? And does anyone have an idea to when that will be for anything (Spirit, Sn0w, Ra1n)?

Unfortunately right now there's not a hell of a lot of options for the 3GS. The DevTeam is working hard on releasing something soon, but there's of course no estimates for a timeframe, and it doesn't help that there's (Somewhat likely) an iOS4 update coming from Apple very shortly. Have a scroll through the hacks section, there's a thread thelatinist made which has a nice flow chart that gives you your list of options.

Steagles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
OK. That sucks, but it is what it is. Thank you for your help. I guess I am going back to my touch for a while for games.
Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.