I need advice on what iPod to buy.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iParis, Jul 29, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Currently I have an 80GB iPod Classic with over 160GBs of media on my iTunes.
    There are rumors I have heard that Apple might be releasing a 250GB iPod Classic this fall.
    I have also heard that they might lower the price of the 8GB iPod Touch to $199, or they may get rid of the 8GB and lower the price of the 16GB to $199.
    I have also heard that they may come out with a 64GB Touch for $399 or $499.
    In mid fall I am going to get a new iPod(s).
    I really want a Touch because it has Apps and internet.
    But I also like the iPods with hard drives because I like having most of my library with me at once.
    I'm not sure if I should get a 8GB Touch and a 250GB Classic.
    Or a 160GB Classic and a 16GB Touch.
    Or just a 32GB iPod Touch and keep my 80GB.
    Or get a 64GB iPod Touch and sell my 80GB Classic.
    Well at least some combination like that.
    Thank you.
    ^_^

2. muldul macrumors 6502

It depends on how much on what media you have. If it is mainly videos then get the 64 gb touch as is it great to to watch them on the touch's screen vs the classic's screen, but if it is mainly music then get the 250 gb classic if you want it all with you at once, if it is a mix then the 16 gb touch and 160 gb classic may be a good combo to have your whole library and a few extra films on your touch. Remember though that all of these specs are speculation, it maybe that a 250 gb classic isn't released nor a 64 gb touch. I would wait until finding out the specs of the new ipods until making up your mind.

3. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

If a 64GB Touch comes out that's what I'll be getting - so long as it's at the £329 pricepoint or cheaper! Touch is the way forward. The classic will disappear in the next few years if not sooner IMO.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Normally we see new iPods released around September. So I would say it is worth the wait for the OP in this case.

Agree and disagree.

On one hand, the Touch is awesome, bigger screen, more functionality -- especially with the app store and built in WiFi. Then again, larger capacity and physical, per se, control buttons of the Classic are desirable as well.

On a side note, regarding memory, the Touch has two memory slots and the iPhone has one. Since the iPhone 3G was released with 16GB, I don't expect to see 64GB (2x32GB) in the Touch due to memory prices. My guess is that the iPhone will be upgraded to 32GB and the Touch to 64GB at the same time. Just speculation on my part.

5. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

You already have an nice size iPod, get the iPod touch.

6. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Are you kidding me?
    The Classic won't disappear.
    People love having large amounts of memory.

7. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

60GBs of it is music.
    80GBs is video.
    I should probably get the 64GB Touch and sell my 80GB.
    Or keep my 80GB and get a 16GB Touch.

8. 204467 macrumors 6502a

It's funny; I disagree with phakebrill; I think people like the Classic for exactly that reason; it's classic. The Classic was the first iPod; it's a familiar and well-celebrated design that I don't see Apple killing off anytime soon. However, while I agree with iParis that the Classic won't disappear, I don't agree with the second comment; "People love having large amounts of memory." In a few years time, the touch will have the capacity of the current Classic, if not sooner. Just cast your minds back to October 23, 2001. The original iPod debuts, with a whopping storage capacity of five whole gigabytes! The original touch exceeded that by a whole 3 gigs. Memory prices drop fast; while not so fast as to expect a high-capacity Touch in September, you can probably expect them in 2009 or 2010.

9. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

I would just wait till the new "holiday line-up" is revealed to make a decision, if you can wait that long, thats what I'm doing. :cool: ....so many choices...

10. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

That's what I'm doing.
    I am going to wait until October or November, possibly December.
    Apple always releases/announces new products around that time, if not sooner.
    If I remember right, the iPod Touch, iPod Classic, and 3rd Gen iPod Nano came out in early September, and if I'm not mistaken, September 5th.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Get the 32GB touch (Of which use 5Gb on music and the rest on Video) and keep the 80GB iPod (For trashing everything else!)

Whatever you do.. dont sell the Classic unless you get a new higher capacity Classic. With that kind of a library, you'll regret selling it later!

12. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Sounds like a good idea!
    I can can put on the music that I like and actually listen to (trust me, I don't like all of my 10K songs).
    That'll probably on take up about 7 -10 GBs.
    Then I can use the rest for video.

13. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

just buy an ipod touchy
    80gb classic for music, ipod touchy for videos
    what else do you need