I need advice purchasing a macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elypcool, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. elypcool macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #1
    Hey all,

    I'm in the market for a new laptop and I have my eyes on the MBP 13" 2.53GHZ and I've been researching about upcoming models of the macbook pro coming supposedly in Q1 of 2010 , my question is if there is going to be much difference between today model and the upcoming ones. I just want to know if to wait for the new one or buy one now :confused: . Do you think the new ones are coming with a new video card or with a better processor? HELP :apple:

    To wait or not to wait :)
     
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #2
    Yes I do think the new models will come with better processors and better video cards. It's just that nobody knows when it will happen.
     
  3. elypcool thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #3
    If you where me would you wait for a newer macbook pro or pull the trigger on the current one :)
     
  4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #4
    I would buy now. If I had money, I would buy the high end 13in Macbook Pro.
     
  5. elypcool thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #5
    What is holding me back from buying it is the hope of a future (jan 2010) macbook pro with a better video card or even processor.
     
  6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #6
    How do you know it is in Jan 2010?
     
  7. elypcool thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #7
    rumors I guess, but don't they release something new for Christmas or to start the new year?
     
  8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #8
    It's really anyone's guess. I'd say wait until the end of the month. Or alternative, you can buy it and return it with the restocking fee.
     
  9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #9
    if you really need one now...go for a refurbished one...if the new ones are released next year then you can sell this one if you think its worth upgrading...
     
  10. capkapak macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #10
    I would buy a refurbished now and wait/see what happens to the new models Q1/Q2 of 2010. These are supposedly new processors so higher probability of teething issues such as those encountered when the 1st CD was released in 2007.
     
  11. XP Defector macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2006
    #11
    At the same time, with the prospect of SSD drives dropping in price, and the option to upgrade to 8GB, I'd say the current line of Macbook Pros should have enough clout to hold their own for 3 or 4 years, unless your a gamer that is.
     
  12. fibrizo macrumors 6502

    fibrizo

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2009
    #12
    Honestly if they move to the Core i7 architecture, the new macs will dominate. It will be like when they went to Core 2 Duo. Does that mean that your machine will be slow and horrible? No. Buy if you have a need now, or wait and get the new architecture. The past few years have been mostly incremental in their increases on the Core 2 line. Then again, the new macs will be the first of their line and might have issues, ie like when apple release the unibody macbook, then revised it a few months later to add back firewire, built in batt and sd card slot etc etc. So it's kind of a coin toss either way. As for buying the higher end one in hopes of future proofing, I have to say that's a pretty stupid argument if you look at it from an economics perspective.

    For instance look at how I screwed up lol.

    I purchased a 13inch low end unibody macbook in jan for 1200$. It ran fine, but I grew jealous of the light up keyboard and faster clock (stupid in retrospect) I bought my own 4gb of ram and 320gb 7200 rpm drive.) The machine did make a horrible static noise when I used my shure SE530s in them so they were going to exchange it for me. (about 1 week after purchase)

    So I got the 13 inch Higher speced unibody macbook 2.4ghz in January. At the low low price of 1500 total.. Because the 400mhz seemed alot faster, and clock for clock it was 20% faster. To be honest, there wasn't alot of practical increase in performance. (Really unnoticable unless I was encoding and actively counting the time, a 30 min h264 file takes 1 hour on the 2, and 50 mins on the 2.4 ghz lol. still a heck of a long time.

    Fast forward to june and apple announces the 13 Macbook pro for much less lol, with a longer battery and better screen. Eventually I sold my UMB for about 900$ (after ebay and paypal fees) and I bought a 2.26 umbp for 1099 (with education discount) during the ipod back to school special. I ebayed the itouch for 150$ after fees and such. And after taxes I was net negative 100$ But I had a new 2.26 umbp. I did some testing and the 2.26 cpu was actually faster than the 2.4 in the umb in about 1/2 of all tests. (later core revision) So for the most part I ended up with a better spec'ed machine.

    Now if I stuck with the 2.0ghz, I probably would have only gotten about 750-800$ instead of 900$... But I would have spent 300$ less initially.

    The macbook pro 13 2.26 and 2.53 ghz models are 300$ in difference. More ram for sure, but that's cheap (70$) and Larger HD (which many people will swap out anyways, I've never actually booted the 160gb drive that came with it. I just stuck in my old drive I had upgraded in my umb) The clock speed difference is now 10% (real life performace difference much less)

    A price difference of about 200$ If you save that now sell your macbook when a refresh occurs, and apply that amount to buying a new low end one then, you'll get a new shiny machine (with a new warranty even) and the new low end machine will likely be faster than the high end model of the previous model, and have new features.

    Also to be honest even if you plan on keeping the laptop, the increase in clock speed will not keep your laptop from being slow, or unable to run something new. If the program ran way to slow on the lower spec machine, the few percent increase on the higher spec one won't make it run acceptably.

    All companies will charge you mucho $ for the incremental increase in performance. (The funny part is that according to intel, they charge the same price for a 2.26ghz processor as the 2.53 ghz processor)

    http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?brand=34530

    I picked the 25w TDP 1066 mhz ones for comparison
    P8400 2.26ghz 3mb cache = 209$
    P8600 2.4ghz 3mb cache = 209$
    p8700 2.53ghz 3mb cache = 209$
    P8800 2.66ghz 3mb cache = 241$
    P9700 2.8ghz 6mb cache = 348$

    I know the last one has more cache, but look at the increase. is the p9700 75% faster than the p8700? probably not. but it costs 75% more for probably ~15% cpu speed increase and ~5% computer performance.

    But if you have unlimited budget, by all means go ahead :)
     
  13. elypcool thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    #13
    Nice write up, thanks for the input, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the current macbook pro 13" 2.53 :cool::apple:
     
  14. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #14
    Something better and newer will also be just around the corner, no matter how long you wait. Just buy it, it's not like most users will even notice the speed improvement from a generation to the next.
     
  15. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

    MrBrekke

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2009
    Location:
    Norway
    #15
    you will be happy with it :)

    Got mine just a bit over 2 weeks ago and i love it.
    I is no point of waiting for a new model if you find the current model fulfilling all your needs. if you want a really speed boost on it... But a intel x25-m SSD for it.

    and real life performance for the battery life is good. all from 4.5 to 7.5 hours depending on use and screen brightness.

    happy for you and wishing you the best of luck with it.
     
  16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #16
    There's honestly just no telling when updates will come and what they'll be. Honestly, really, truly.

    If you need a new system now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait. Generally, it seems a revision of an existing line provides a 10-15% performance difference over the prior iteration. People using their systems for consumer applications won't usually notice a difference until two revisions down the road, if at all.

    Everyone seems to have this phobia about apple releasing a new model after they buy a current one (the Leo LaPorte effect). It's not like my 13" uMB suddenly quit working or became obsolete after they released the 13" uMBP.

    Buying a brand new revision out of the gate can have perils, too. A tweaked system with new hardware and software can have defects or shortcomings that its predecessor lacked. Cupertino can also pull what I like to call AGATA (Apple Giveth, Apple Taketh Away) with a new system that they don't announce in the keynote or press release, like not including a video adapter or front row remote, or not including support for 3rd party hard drives, that they always included before.

    Get what you need, and use it for as long as it truly works for you. Try looking at the refurb store or craigslist for a discount; for me, that takes a lot of the pain away from an upgrade.

    Good luck.
     
  17. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago
    #17
    Given that they didn't exist until june, I think its safe to say you'll be waiting a little while if you don't get one now.
     

Share This Page