I need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simsfanatic, Aug 15, 2007.

1. simsfanatic macrumors newbie

Ok, I just got my first laptop, a Gateway MX6453 (1.6GHz, 2GB of ram), for christmas 2007 (by the way I'm 13) it was fine and I loaded all of my Sim games onto it so when it started to slow down I thought it was because of the insane amount of memory the games took but then they wouldn't start up so I knew something was wrong so I took it to a "Computer Guy" :rolleyes:from my camp but he SCREWED IT UP! Now (for those who know of geekbench) my comp only has a score of like 847, where my step-brother's new MBP has like 2986. I hope my step-brother (techlover828) will reboot it. Now I need advice as to which mac to buy, I like the MBP's sleek design but want a cheap but fast powerbook... I don't have a lot of money and I think I'll have to get a refurbished comp but advice would be a ton of help!

P.S. The link to geekbench is http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

a regular macbook would most likely do you fine, cheaper than a mbp but generally not too far behind them speed/technology wise

for your information my iBook (ppc 1.33ghz) has a geekbench score of 726ish, so a 1.67 g4 powerbook wouldn't be too much higher, you'd get better gains from going to an intel processor ratehr than a legacy processor (laptop wise, G5s still kick a$$). If your not opposed to a desktop the mini or an older imac G5 are good choices for less money or a core duo imac if you can find one (I sold one about 4 months ago for 900$ so they can be had for a lower price than new c2d)

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

While I'm a huge proponent of the mbp, I have to say that in your position, I agree with ^^^^. You won't see much performance from an older Powerbook compared to a new or even refurbed macbook. Out of curiosity, what is your budget? Either way, you should save your money (assuming it's yours, and I don't see how, since you're only 13...most of it must have been gifts/allowance, which is not earned by most 13 year olds). Unless you're doing something that requires a macbook pro, you don't need one quite yet. If you were headed off to college, my advice would be different. However, you still have four or five years to save up for that.

4. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Technically, I didn't say I wanted a MBP, I said "I like the MBP sleek design" Not that it matters anyway... And as for my budget, well I get some allowance (10 bucks weekly) but I would be using the money I would get if I sold my Gateway which probably wouldn't be much...:(

Anyway, thanks for the replies and if you guys see any *cheap* powerbooks in the marketplace, send me the link? Thanks-

5. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yah,

I don't know most of the computer talk since I just use the computers, not study them so I may say some things wrong.

Just a heads up!

6. blueicedj macrumors 6502

does your laptop still run? If it does I can gives you some tips on speeding it up...It sounds really new, and because it was a gift I'd caution away from replacing it this quickly. Seems like a waist to already be getting rid of a laptop that's not even a year old.

7. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I was hoping someone would help!

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

have you looked on ebay, you might be able to see what you can get for it.

9. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll take a look, thanks

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I looked on ebay and think that you can probably around 500 for it on ebay, how much was it originally? its too bad that your going to have to take a loss on it.

11. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was 800??? yeah... I guess 500 plus some hard work could get me an :apple:

12. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Also, since you're in school, maybe you need portability, maybe a 12" powerbook?

13. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into that

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

does your school provide computers?

15. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, we get G4's... They suck!:mad:

16. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I see a lot of processor upgrades on newegg.com, can a machine that came equipped with an AMD processor run an intel processor?

17. pmartin macrumors regular

No, the chipsets and sockets have been different since about 1998.

18. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Oh, that sucks that its AMD then

19. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I agree!

Whoever bought you the gift laptop will be p/off.

20. simsfanatic thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it was my dad for Christmas and he knows somethings wrong! :cool: