I need advices using Wacom tablets

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zickslicky, Nov 17, 2008.

1. zickslicky macrumors newbie

I'm having troubles, most of the time, having the mouse cursor stay in place. Example: I'm trying to get a tip popping up when I mouse over a tool in Photoshop.

Is there any little piece of software that, when you hold a key, locks your mouse cursor?

Or maybe most importantly how do you, Wacom users, deal with this issue?

Thanks,

2. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Hmm, maybe i'm stating the obvious but have you tried lifting the pen off from the surface once the cursor is at right place. I would think the cursor would stay stationary, yes?

ps. i dont have wacom tablet now, but i used to.

4. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a way to do it, yes. But unless you lift the pen straight up the cursor's always going to move a bit, sometimes moving away from the position you want it to be.

Other suggestions?

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If I understand you correctly, I don't have that problem with my Wacom mouse or pen. Maybe you need to change some settings in System Preferences?

I was having some problems with my mouse and pen in Tiger but not in Leopard.

6. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

Rt&Dzine, it's not a problem with my system, it's the way tablet are made.

have you tried poping up tips for certain tools in certain programs? Can you do it easily at first try everytime? Example: You're running photoshop, you want to know what the brush tool does. You mouse over it a few seconds, and a tip pops up.

Now, certain programs have their tips appear quicker than others and that's fine. What's annoying are those programs who take longer for their tips to pop up.

Unless you have a robot arm & hand with extreme precision, you're most likely to move your hand a little bit, making some of these tips very hard to get.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

In Photoshop I have no problem getting the tips to pop up. With the pen, I just rest it gently on the tablet and the tip window pops up. The mouse cursor stays put anyway so that's not a problem.

I was suggesting that maybe you have some settings like maybe your acceleration and/or speed set too high.

8. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

Photoshop isn't SO bad, tooltips are rather easy to get. Other applications aren't so easy.

Also, acceleration and speed don't matter to a Wacom tablet if you set your pen to "Pen Mode" (the correct way to use a tablet).

9. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Do you have Alzheimer? :p What keeps you from keeping your pen tip 100% still? Can you do this with a normal paper and pen? I dont understand whats the difficulty?

10. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the word you're looking for is "Parkinson" ;-) But yes, now that you mention it, maybe I *do* have it. How didn't I notice!

11. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Heh, maybe i have the Alzheimer :rolleyes:

12. suburbia macrumors 6502

Maybe it's the pen itself that's causing the "jitterness"? Mine's extremely exact at where I want it to be.

13. zickslicky thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I'm starting to think I'm having more problems holding that pen tight into position than most people. I'm awfully bad at drawing too, there must be *some* link betweem the two :rolleyes:

14. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Certain monitors when set to specific Hz frequenties have been known to cause interference with the Wacom tablet causing the cursor to jitter. Solutions are to either change the frequency the screen is set to, or to move the tablet further away from the screen.
    But a steady hand goes a long way though....