I NEED ADVISE ABOUT CHANGING MY i4's IMEI

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Aray1993, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Aray1993 macrumors newbie

i have recently brought an iphone 4 version 4.2.1 off a "friend" and have just recently found out the IMEI was blocked. If i was to change the IMEI would it have to be an old one from an old iphone or can it be off any phone ?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

illegal and why was it blocked. Not just something that happens randomly. Maybe failure to pay a bill or stolen property. Sorry this forum can't help you. get your money back from your friend!

3. wpotere Guest

So you bought a stolen phone and you want us to tell you how to get around the block?

First, you can't change it. Secondly I don't even think there is a way to spoof it at this point and it is illegal.

If you really bought the phone legally then talk to the carrier and see if you can get it unblocked.

4. Monty88 macrumors newbie

Monty88

5. Aray1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

the reason i put friend in quotes is because when i brought thee phone off them they assured me it wasnt stolen and i would be able to get it up and running in no time ... iv had the phone for nearly 3 months now and have paid £50 to have in unlocked to all carrier just to find out its blocked :mad:

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You are in the wrong forum. Need to be in the stolen iphone forum.

7. Aray1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

i think this might be the case as i didnt really find out much about the phone before i brought i just thought i was getting a bargain :l Are you sure about not been able to change the IMEI as iv heard from quite a few people that a programme called ziphone is what im looking for ?

8. biohead macrumors 6502

ziphone is a very old program for the original iPhone, and only the original.

Regardless of the legality of the topic - there is no way to change the IMEI on an iPhone 3G, 3GS or 4 no matter what you try.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot change the imei.
    Ziphone worked 4 years ago for the 2G iPhone on firmware 1.1 and since has been abandoned and hasn't been updated.

10. victorvu macrumors member

OP, I'm sorry to hear your bargain turn out bad. If I were you, I'd keep it as a lesson to myself, and wouldn't mess with the law. Oh well, if you must do it, do you think it's necessary to leave your confession on a public board?

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Changing the IMEI isn't like jailbreaking, unlocking or even downloading warez / movies: It's a criminal offence that will get you real time in jail in most countries: For example, in the UK you're looking at up to 5 years behind bars and / or a £10,000 fine.
    If I were you, I'd put it down to experience and forget any idea of changing the IMEI: It's just not worth it