I need an external flash unit for D40

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pageerror404, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pageerror404 macrumors newbie

I need to purchase a speedlight for my d40. I want it to experiment with creative lighting techniques, and I plan on using it off camera quite a lot. I was looking at the SB-600 but then I heard that the D40 doesn't have a commander mode to operate it wireless. What do I need to purchase to make this work for my camera? Whatever it is, would it be cheaper/worthwhile to just sell my D40 and then spend a little extra to buy a more advanced body?

What other options are there?

Also out of curiosity, how do you mount a speedlight to a tripod? They aren't threaded as far as I am aware.

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Depends a lot on how and where you plan to use it- if it's indoors on a flash bracket, you just need a cord, if it's indoors on a light stand or off a Justin Clamp then you'll need a hotshoe adapter, and a commander-mode trigger. If it's outdoors, then radio triggers, but you'll lose TTL unless you go with RadioPoppers.

3. fulcrum.1995 macrumors member

consider both the SB-400 and SB600

both can bounce flashes but the SB400 is more compact and light at the expense of wireless unit, manual functions, and horizontal rotation

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I was in a similar situation with my D60 over the holidays, and decided to go for an SB-600. It can't be controlled wirelessly by a D40/D60, but just having the option of using the bounce flash is a lot to start playing with, and when I upgrade to a D90 or higher I'll be able to use it wirelessly without buying a transmitter.

IMHO the big weakness of the SB-400 is that it can't bounce off a ceiling when the camera is in portrait orientation, since it only swivels on one axis.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I second the suggestion to have a look at the SB-400 and the SB-600. I have recently upgraded from an SB-400 to an SB-600 and I love both!

The SB-400 is very small and literally fits in your pocket. It's a lot more capable than any built-in pop-up flash. I've found it powerful enough for most things, especially for indoor pictures.

The SB-600 is more powerful and I love that I can use it off-camera. My D80 can use the built-in flash to do its magic and use both flashes at the same time :) However, it's a lot bigger. It adds quite some heft to your camera.

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

SB-600 all the way. For a first flash it's great. I use two of them all the time with radio triggers. Nikon's commander mode isn't without it's flaws - the flash has to be line of sight with whatever commander unit you use, which can make life very difficult.

Buy the SB-600, practice with it on camera, and pick up a couple of cheap eBay radio triggers to play around with.