i need an external HD, but which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OrangeCuse44, Apr 11, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Alright, here's my scenario. I have a new Macbook which has 120 gb hard drive space. I want to backup my entire system using SuperDuper every week or so to avoid losing my data in case something went wrong. I'll probably create a bootable backup but either way i just want everything i have to be safe. So, which route should i take in terms of USB or firewire? What size would be good for my situation? Any brand hard drive that i should look at and/or stay away from?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You'll want a drive that's at least the size of your disk, and probably some extra just in case.

For large transfers, I recommend FireWire over USB2. I have a LaCie Triple Interface 250GB drive that I love and has worked out very well for me. I'd highly recommend it.

3. -Alan- macrumors member

4. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Do the LaCie drives use the Oxford chipset? The spec sheet on laCie's product page doesn't reveal that info; neither does the specg sheet on newegg...

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You could always build your own - select whatever hard drive you want and put it in an enclosure that uses your preferred interface; you can get all the necessary bits from newegg. I would of course check product reviews for an enclosure with a good chipset and reliability.

6. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Didnt someone mention how the HD in LaCie had Maxtor and if the HD failed its not LaCie job but Maxtor, I think best deal would be to build your own external Hard Drive.

7. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Buy the biggest one you can afford, if you will only backup stuff on your laptop then get 300GB model, if you are thinking of adding more files then i recommend you buy a larger one.

8. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you wanted to, you could upgrade your internal HD to 160gigs for 120$, then buy a 2.5 holder for your HD in the macbook.

Then you would have more in your MB and an external, although depending on the size you are looking at, it may not be large enough.