Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I'm looking for a decently priced external HD that has FireWire and USB 2.0 is optional. I've been looking around, and I'm seeing bad reviews for almost every single HD! :eek: Especially from big names like Lacie. I'm open to the option of external cases, but I'd like some reliable models and names for external HDs including cases (and internal HDs for those cases). At the moment 80 GB seems to be enough for me.

Thanks.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I second your question, I would really like to know of a dependable External Hard Drive but I'm looking for a bigger drive -- 200-300 GB

Video_Producer

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
Boston
Ext Hard Drive

I bought an ADS firewire / usb 2.0 enclosure, this way I can add whatever size drive I want, or have multiple drives going for projects. This is my second enclosure case.

I think the case was under $70.00, the harddrive is up to you, the 160 gig that I bought was on sale at Comp USA for $60.00. If the 160 fills up I can just buy another drive, and re-use the enclosure. I've never had issues with my 80 gig Seagate Barracudas ( I have 4) or my Hitachi 160 gig.

Rich

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have a 120GB Maxtor drive, and i have never had a problem with it. Even when power has gone out and come back (is on surge protector thou) All i have to do is plug it into the computer again and eject it. and it is back to normal.

and it looks like the powerbook casing making it look even better :p

Ti_Poussin

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
I have a PHR-100-AC from MacAlly, it's great, the enclosure doesn't have fan so it still quiet. Choose an aluminium case without fan if noise bother you, else with a fan performance is better ( not too much but noticable). The only problem I see with it, is that it lack an ON/OFF switch. Else it work perfectly. Take an enclosure with Oxford bridge, for better performance.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Now i'm a little sketchy on this enclosure thing... I hate to sound like a newb but what exactly does the enclosure do? Is it worth the hassle of buying it?

roberts

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2005
Scotland
Now i'm a little sketchy on this enclosure thing... I hate to sound like a newb but what exactly does the enclosure do? Is it worth the hassle of buying it?

An enclosure is just a box that you can put a normal hard drive into, then connect it via USB or Firewire to your computer. It would probably be more expensive to buy an enclosure and a hard disk than to buy a normal external drive, but you get the bonus of being able to replace the drive inside whenever you want to. I would say it's worth the hassle, but that's just me :)

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
roberts said:
It would probably be more expensive to buy an enclosure and a hard disk than to buy a normal external drive
Do you really mean that??? I've looked at several external hard disks for months and a few months ago I finally went for an internal drive and an enclosure. It was a lot cheaper than buying a stock external drive!!! It's been doing pretty well too. Except in a few cases where "branded" external drives could be cheap, buying an internal drive and putting it in an enclosure yourself would save a lot of money!

With "branded" external drives, they charge at the higher end towards a dollar per Gig. For an internal drive + enclosure, the cost of the enclosure right now varies from $25 to $40 depending on what you buy, but the best deals for internal drives come between 30 cents to 50 cents a Gig. So the larger the hard disk you buy, the lesser your per Gig cost if you build it yourself (it's very simple to build it too). Recently CompUSA was (or maybe still is) offering a 160GB HDD with a separate enclosure together for $60 (after mail-in-rebates).

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Here is the link to Macworld review of some external drives. G-Drive (by G-Technology) seems second best and best looking, that is what I am considering. The price has droped on G-drive.

It actualy beats the Lacie drives. :) Plus it looks damn great. :D

roberts

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2005
Scotland
wiseguy27 said:
Do you really mean that??? I've looked at several external hard disks for months and a few months ago I finally went for an internal drive and an enclosure. It was a lot cheaper than buying a stock external drive!!! It's been doing pretty well too. Except in a few cases where "branded" external drives could be cheap, buying an internal drive and putting it in an enclosure yourself would save a lot of money!

With "branded" external drives, they charge at the higher end towards a dollar per Gig. For an internal drive + enclosure, the cost of the enclosure right now varies from $25 to $40 depending on what you buy, but the best deals for internal drives come between 30 cents to 50 cents a Gig. So the larger the hard disk you buy, the lesser your per Gig cost if you build it yourself (it's very simple to build it too). Recently CompUSA was (or maybe still is) offering a 160GB HDD with a separate enclosure together for $60 (after mail-in-rebates).

I never realised they were so cheap! I stand corrected :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Newegg.com has some cheap enclosures and good prices on hard drives, but OWC has some really good ones. Just look for one that's USB and Firewire, and uses the Oxford 911 chip. The OWC ones have the updated firmware so you won't have issues with OS X. If you need a cheap hard drive, buy one with rebates from some place like Fry's (Outpost.com online), Best Buy, CompUSA, or Circuit City. Shop around for the best deal. Make sure you get one of the Seagates or Maxtors with the 5 year warranty (some only have 1 yr), or Hitachis if you want something a little cheaper (sometimes) and don't mind the "only" 3 year warranty.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
applekid said:
I'm looking for a decently priced external HD that has FireWire and USB 2.0 is optional. I've been looking around, and I'm seeing bad reviews for almost every single HD! :eek: Especially from big names like Lacie. I'm open to the option of external cases, but I'd like some reliable models and names for external HDs including cases (and internal HDs for those cases). At the moment 80 GB seems to be enough for me.

Thanks.

I love my laCie....never had a problem (knock on wood!)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
My suggestion is to find an enclosure you like and install your own drive in it. I did that for an external 60 GB and I love it.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
Here is the link to Macworld review of some external drives. G-Drive (by G-Technology) seems second best and best looking, that is what I am considering. The price has droped on G-drive.

It actualy beats the Lacie drives. :) Plus it looks damn great. :D

thanks for the link. I've been locking into getting an external drive, and decided on the owc 300gb. :D

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Alrighty, I guess enclosures are the way to go. I've had good experiences with internal Seagate drives, so I'll stick to that. Thanks to everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.