I need an extremely protective and shock absorbing case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by strausd, Sep 5, 2009.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

right now i have a case that is not very protective or shock absorbing and also, its wearing down. I would also like you all to know that it is a vaja case and was a bad decision. they do look good, but they are not protective at all. Does anyone know of a good protective and shock absorbing case for the iPhone?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Otterbox Defender. Nothing else compares afaik.

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

doesnt that make air bubbles? that can get annoying watching movies

4. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

The bubbles are only there if you don't have an anti-glare screen protector but yes with the anti-glare and the defender the screen quality is kinda distorted but worth the protection.

Also on Twitter Otterbox said that in September the iPhone Commuter Series would be available.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just have a Hurley leather flip top case. I think it's pretty good at protecting my iPhone, and I just flip it up and the naked glass is available.

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

right now i have a krystal film set, you know the things they sell at the Apple store. will it be fine with that? also, will the built in screen protector cause any problems when typing at the edge of the screen? if so is there a way to remove the build in screen protector? and i heard the silent switch is hard to operate, is that true?

7. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

and what do you think about their impact series?

8. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

Silent switch not a huge deal - I only turn that maybe once a day and protection trumps it, The defender covers every port (minus the bottom speakers and mic)

The case prevents easy access to the corners, mostly an issue with the bottom corners with the keyboard.

Must use the anti-glare film, the brand sold at Apple stores but it must be anti-glare.

I thought about taking the built-in screen protector off and just adding some foam around the screen to keep dust out but that would only be needed if you are dust anal-retentive as me.

The impact series is just a silicon skin, nothing too special, but I have never used one.

I would just wait for the commuter series.

9. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

well i use the silent switch multiple times a day so i think the defender is out of the question. with the impact, i wouldnt have to use the screen protector it comes with and prolly wouldnt because i already have one on. do you think the commuter will keep the silent switch open? also, what do you think about switcheasy? the rebel serpent looks pretty protective...

10. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

I love switcheasy!! I had the Neo for the longest of any of my cases, but thy one breakseasy so they kept sending me new ones.

11. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

do you know anything about their "colors" case or "rebel serpent"?

12. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

I hear they are good but the first ones had a few issues just search the forum.

But like I said the otterbox guy from Twitter said that a few weeks the iPhone commuter series, which if you look at the BB and other commuter series cases they don't go all out like the defender but have a silicon layer with a hard plastic layer over top, the guy said they it will be a few more weeks but that it would be worth the wait. So since I like the idea of hard plastic over silicon, much like the rebel I am looking forward to it.

Check out reviews on the forums and make sure they fixed the bottom sage issue the rebels had.

As far as the colors series I don't like the rubbe/silicon as it collects lint so I haven't even looked into that line.

13. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ya i just checked twitter and i dont wana wait a few weeks. i think what im gonna do is buy the impact now and buy the commuter when it comes out. because on amazon the impact is only $10 and thats pretty good. i can stand a few weeks with the impact cause at least it provides more protection than my case now.

14. Ennoozunu macrumors newbie

I use a Capsule Rebel and its been awesome thus far. On my screen I have an Invisible Shield.

You could also try this new case made with D3o> http://www.expansys.ca/d.aspx?i=186550

This case only covers the sides but is suppose to be very protective. The guy demoing it was throwing the iphone at walls and off a 2 story house and it survived. Pair that with a Whole Body Invisible shield for scratches and your set.

Tech 21 is coming out with a full back d3o case soon. Might be worth looking into when that comes out.

15. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

well i wouldnt wana buy the iBand, but if they came out with a full case then i might get that

16. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I think the Speck CandyShell does a great job of protecting.

17. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030