I need an honest opinion about this laptop design

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by surjavarman, Jun 16, 2008.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I've waited along time to buy a macbook. I waited till the macbook air was released only to find out that it was out of my price range. So I recently found this great deal on a sony vaio TZ and bought it.

But then I showed it to my friends who are mac users and they laughed at me saying this laptop looks really ugly and the specs are so weak. They said their macbooks look so much better. They laughed at me for buying it and just ridiculed the specs of the computer and that I got ripped off. But I'm actually quit happy. Everything runs nice and smooth. Its nice and small and I dont see any point in having an even faster processor.

I want you guys honest opinion about this laptop. Do you really think it looks ugly? This is the laptop I'm talking about [​IMG]

It has a 1.06ghz C2D, 1gb RAM and 100gb HDD. Were my friends laughing at me cause their are jaelous or is it really bad? Please I really want an honest answer.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well then. That is all that matters, who gives a damn what your friends say? Mates always take the piss, just rip it out of them for their "poncy" Apple laptops and have a laugh about it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so you are happy with it? then who cares

it is just a computer man

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As above,the be all and end all is it's a machine for doing a job and not a fashion statement,if your happy with it that's all that matters,oh i don't think there ugly but that aint the point

5. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks guys. I'll keep it then. I'm only disappointed in laptops because next year there will be ever prettier and better laptops coming out. And over 2 years they will be even thinner and better designed.

But I guess you cant escape that with technology.

Oh btw Steve Jobs mentioned the TZ a couple of times in his macbook air presentation on macworld. He said that it was generally considered to a very good product on the market. He frequently made comparissons with the TZ and the Macbook Air. So that makes me more confident.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have a similar Vaio from work. I like it!! First work laptop that didn't make me miss my Mac while on the road.

7. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Your friends sound unpleasant.

I like the way it looks personally. Plus you stated you're happy with it, so just ignore your buddies.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Don't be a Mac elitist. It's just a computer. Aesthetics aren't everything. I personally think it looks great, and if it serves you well, then what's the point in listening to your stupid friends who love their Macs too much? They sound like the type of kids who just got into Macs and now they think they're the coolest people on the block. Not true.

Personally, I'd own one of those over a MacBook Air any day.

9. faust macrumors regular

faust

10. K3mp macrumors 6502

It looks good for a PC. If you don't need it for much the specs look great except for the processor.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

it doesnt look bad and if you are happy who cares but the specs do look a bit weak.

ChrisN

14. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

The specs are weak I assume because it's an older model. (I'm pretty sure the newer TZ's have 2GB of RAM and at least 120GB HD's among other things)

But I like the TZ a lot. It's lighter than your friends Macbooks and still has a disk drive etc etc which gives it a leg up over the Air.

I think it looks great too. The display is really thin and the keyboard is the same kind as the Macbook.

Methinks your friends would be jealous if it had a fruit on the back. ;)

15. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, personally I don't like it. But as long as you are happy with it, who cares? Like the other posters said, it's your machine and you have to use it.

I don't remember which movie this quote belongs to "opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one" but it certainly fits here. :)

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

x2 on the insecure... jeez.

Anyhoo, to your Apple-fanboy haters, you can mention that even the slowest TZ actually runs faster and quieter than the Air under more intensive use, since the Air keeps on trying to slow itself down to protect itself from overheating. I don't think it's ugly, it's made better and is more durable despite looking more "plastic" because it's carbon fibre. It's far better connected and it goes for longer on a charge, and is generally far more useful for people who actually do worthwhile stuff on a computer, not just pose & Twitter in Starbucks. You could tell them that and give them the finger.

Your friends are laughing because... well, they're Mac users and they've drank the Kool-Aid. They're not jealous, but take pity on them for they know not what they are doing.

The TZ is my main ultraportable, and the only reason I have the relative POS (of a machine in the second-computer, ultraportable class) that is the Air is a) because it is very nice to look at and b) because it's the only actually portable machine which runs OS X, which I need. If OS X was supported on the TZ, the Air would be heading for the trashcan at warp speed.

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

I remember my mates taking the piss because I still used a 486 with win3.11 while they had pentium 2s. Bastards the 486 was great at playing micro machines and red alert :D Wish I could get them to work on the mac ive still got the discs and boxes lol

18. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I hope the ops friends at least don't visit a topic related forum only to bitch about this topic in every single post. That would be really pitiful.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your friends sound like douchebags. Sorry dude, but if they're seriously giving you hell over that laptop then they're pretty lame. The laptop is fine but what is even better is that YOU like it. It is YOUR laptop and YOUR money. **** 'em. ;)

20. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I think the Vaio's are great from my experience with them. That 1.0ghz spec is a little low, but if the machine is working for what you are doing with it, then I wouldn't sweat it, and tell your friends to blow.

just my .02 though.

21. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright thanks alot. I'm not insecure. I just wanted to make sure that I didnt make a really bad choice with this laptop.

I knew the specs werent the best I could get but everything runs pretty fast. I actually dont see a difference between the computers (2.4ghz) at school and mine in terms of perfomance. I will probally only feel it when I am using heavy programs.

Anyway I just wanted to make sure.

22. 173080 macrumors 6502

I think it's ugly. But then again, I think the black Macbook is ugly too.

23. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

If the TZ ran OS X, I'd get that over the Air.

Not trying to start and Air VS TZ war here, I know they're both about as different as it gets when comparing ultra portables. All I'm saying is that it can be a great computer depending on your needs.

24. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

I think it looks awesome! As long as it works for you that is all that matters.

25. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its still haunting me.

First I wanted the macbook air then I saw the lenovo x300 and wanted that one. And then I finally end up with the TZ cause I saw a good deal. This is my first laptop ever but it keeps haunting me. I'm begining to see minor imperfections now like the fan is almost always running. Keyboard attracts alot of fingerprints. Screen feels delicate. Maybe I should have saved up and gotten the X300. That one seems like its perfect now.

I dont know.. at first I was happy but now I'm still not sure if I made the right choice. The X300 just seems to look better and better.