I need Backup and Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AlanS, Aug 30, 2011.

1. AlanS macrumors newbie

OK..be very gentle:
    I need both a HD backup and a router. The most convienient way to go is, I guess the Time Capsule. But, this gets very poor ratings and it seems a lot of failure rates. What else can I do?
    I have cable coming into the house, into my iMac...home use. I plan on getting an iPad, thus need the WiFi. I would eventually like to do wireless printing from the iPad. I have two iPhones.
    My needs are simple...and I would keep the home computer "hard wired".
    There are older model Airport Extreme (model# A1143) for low prices ($65 at OWC), and tons of routers.
    Set me up with something that's reliable, fast and cost savings.

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Highly recommend the Time Capsule. Yes the first generation gave it a bad name with the failures and unreliability, but the later ones are holding up very well. All I can say is my network and backups are flawless so far and is everything is just working together.

You can hook up your printer to your Time Capsule if it's not already wireless and have wireless printing. And if it's an HP they are AirPrint capable, if not the use the AirPrint Activator (http://download.cnet.com/AirPrint-Activator/3000-18487_4-75327225.html) and you'll have printing from your iPad or iPhones.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an older TC and I'm happy with it. I just replaced it with a NAS but I needed further capability that TC couldn't provide. I had TC for a couple of years now and its been working flawlessly.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

What are the chances that you'll get a portable computer (OS X) within the next few years?

If it's likely, that increases the value of a wireless backup solution (TC or AEBS+disk) compared to just wiring an external drive to your iMac. Using a simple external drive to backup a portable is a hassle -- having to remember to plug/unplug the thing every day. Ideally a backup plan shouldn't rely upon regular human action to work right because almost invariably the human gets lazy or forgets to do his part!

Here are three options:

1. Time Capsule: You need all the functions it provides (router, wireless access point, and backup disk) so it seems a natural. Neat and tidy--one box and no power adapter. Wireless backup to accommodate portables. But more expensive.

2. Airport Extreme Base Station with USB disk plugged into it: Cheaper than (1). "Not supported by Apple", but seems to work for most people but not everyone(?). Provides wireless backup for portables.

3. AEBS and an external disk plugged into your iMac for backups: Cheaper than (1). But no wireless backup.

I am very happy with my 1st-gen TC and would recommend a TC (plan 1) unless the cost is a big issue. Then, the used AEBSs at OWC seem like a pretty good deal to me. They appear to be missing the simultaneous dual-band feature of the newer ones, but my TC doesn't have it either and I don't miss it. Maybe someone else can tell you if they'd be missing any other features (compared to a new one).

I wouldn't recommend (2) unless you like to fiddle with things to get them to work. OTOH, you could try solution (2) and if it seemed not to work, use the same devices to go to plan (3).

Regards,
    Brian33.

5. AlanS thread starter macrumors newbie

Refurbished?

I saw this on the Apple website for $209.... What would a simple computer user like me 'miss' by not having the new 2011 for $299?
    I want to back up my computer and have WiFi for my iPad...

Refurbished Time Capsule - 1TB, w/Simultaneous Dual-Band Wi-Fi
    Originally released October 2009
    Back up a lifetime's worth of memories with the Time Capsule, a wireless hard drive that works seamlessly with Time Machine in Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard. It’s also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station with simultaneous dual-band support. Choose from 1TB and 2T

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Regarding the 2011 TC and AEBS, I've read here and also read a (what seemed to be) thorough review somewhere (don't have link handy) that the 2011 models had increased range and throughput compared to the previous models. So, I guess it depends mostly upon the size of your house or the range you need.

I, and presumably many others, have done quite nicely with the old models. I have only a 1500 sq. ft. house, but if it helps any I get the Wi-Fi signal throughout the house and in my 1/4 acre yard outside.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to get the refurbished model unless you felt that it wouldn't meet the range you'd like. Also, I believe you could get the refurbished TC, and return it (via mail) within 14 days if it didn't meet your needs (verify that first, of course).

Regards,
    Brian33.

7. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I bought the same exact refurbished model a while back and while it was a better deal when I bought it, if I was buying one now I would definately go for the new 2011 2TB Time Capsule. You get double the capacity for future needs and it supposedly has greater range so to me it is worth it for the extra $90.

8. lilweeds macrumors newbie

I went with an airport extreme and an OWC miniStack. Works great! Now the only problem is my 14 month old Extreme just died this morning. Exactly 14 months to the day.:mad: