I need basic Quicktime help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JBrad, Apr 9, 2007.

1. JBrad macrumors newbie

Hello. When I go to this site to play a song, http://www.bobforrest.com/JukeBox.htm I click on a song and the Quicktime wma player window opens and plays the song. But the site window behind the player blanks out white. The only way to go back to the jukebox is use the back button on Safari.

If I go to the same site with Camino, the same Quicktime wma player appears but the main window at the site remains in place so I can look over the jukebox. Also Camino does show the song dowloaded to my desktop. Whereas Safari does not download the song to my desktop.

I have checked both sets of preferences for Camino and Safari. They are exactly the same for both preferences and Quicktime preferences.

How can I stop Safari from blanking out the page? Does this happen to you when you go the link with Safari? I would appreciate any help as it is a nuisance. Thanks. JBrad

2. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Quicktime cannot natively play wma for plug-ins like that. Get this free plug-in called Flip4Mac. The Safari page will be white once this is installed, but on the bottom you will see the progress bar with play button! Hope this helps!

Flip4Mac WMV

3. JBrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. But I do have Flip4Mac and exactly as you say I do get the "white-out" which is what I'm trying to avoid.

The puzzle is why does Camino not white out the page? Camino loads Quicktime as well, presumably via Flip4Mac. Yet all preferences are the same. I mean all QT preferences are identical.

Camino does show the song being downloaded to my desktop. I can't get Safari to do that. Safari goes ahead and plays the song immediately. Maybe that is the cause of the white out?

Another thing. My wife's iMac, using OS X 3.9 instead of my 4.9, opens the page with WMP beautifully and doesn't white-out the page.

Is there no way to avoid the white out if we have Flip4Mac installed?

4. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

If you :apple:key+click on the link, it should open it in its seperate player window, or right (or ctrl) + click on it, and choose "Save linked file as" to save it to your HD.

5. JBrad thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. Thanks, that apple-click is easy enough! Now I can wax nostalgic without the nuisance.