I need C&C

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wildwobby, Jan 5, 2008.

1. wildwobby macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just opened up a new website: http://www.wildwobby.com

It's about pretty much everything computer related. I made a post about the upcoming MacBook Pro and wanted to see what you guys think about it? If you guys have your own site, linking to me would make me very happy as I am also trying to get the site a consistent flow of visitors!

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think that the 17" and 15" highends will get the 2.8GHz, not the 2.6GHz. Just my thought.

Nice site BTW!

3. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

I really wish the high-end 15" and 17" would get the 2.8Ghz. The thing is Apple might end up offering it as a BTO like they did with the 2.6 Ghz Merom. You never know though.... It would be sort of weird to go from 2.6Ghz BTO to a 2.6Ghz Standard with nothing higher... defiantly possible! Thanks for visiting, glad you liked it.

4. Kelly™ macrumors regular

<.<
    >.<
    >.>

Lets see, 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz...
    Yes, thats totally a reason to sell my mac and get a new one for that extra 200Mhz and a few design improvements..
    -thump-

Maybe if mine breaks out of my service warranty :/

5. Josheua macrumors regular

I think your analysis is well thought out, but perhaps it would benefit from even further analysis of the Intel Roadmap. Think about the future chipsets on their way and new technologies set to come out that might fuel Apple's release decisions. Remember, new chipset in Summer 2008 means Apple may hold off on a complete case redesign for a little while longer and just provide a speed-bump in their next revision. Beyond that, your analysis and speculation is as top notch as the rest of us self-made industry analyst. :D

-Josh :apple:

The move from current core 2 duo technology to Penryn is more than just a speed boost. The 2.6ghz Flavor Penryn is a much different beast than the 2.6ghz flavor you are currently using. The 2.6 you currently run is considered an Intel Extreme processor, meaning it runs using more energy and at a higher core temp. The 2.6ghz flavor Penryn is your run-of-the-mill core 2 duo processor. Thus, it will run cooler at the same speed yours does as well as provide better battery life. All in all, it is the more mobile/energy efficient cousin of the processor you are using now. Now the 2.6ghz vs. the 2.8ghz, it is yet to be seen what performance/power benefits one will get from moving from the extreme core 2 duo 2.6ghz processor to the slightly faster Penryn version.

6. Kelly™ macrumors regular

You have a very good point that I did not consider; knowing only little about Penryn.
    However your points of cooler processing temps and longer battery life would not make me or some if not a substantial amount of MB/P owner cash in their current laptops just to get their hands on these good but small benefits.

-shrug-

7. Josheua macrumors regular

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with your point of the update not being enough to warrant a repurchase. I just recently got a 2.4ghz Santa Rosa macbook pro and will be damned if Apple thinks I am going to run out to by a 2.6 Penryn flavor they throw at me in 2 weeks. My point was just to illustrate the other differences between Penryn and current Core 2 Duo technology other than a 200mhz speed bump. Trust me, the machines we have now will run perfectly fine for years to come and we have them now rather than sitting on our hands pining for the future. :D

8. Kelly™ macrumors regular

This is true ;)

I do appreciate the the cooler temps, but something in me loves to run smcFanControl to up my fans to 90-100% keeping my computer cool to the touch all the time. Besides, most guys love the sound of their cars engine so loud the neighbors complain; I love hearing my laptop sounding like its ready for takeoff. :p

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

10. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, even though its 200Mhz, and to more energy efficient and smaller processors, its still as much of a revision or more than in previous times. 2.33 to 2.4? thats only 70 Mhz! Albeit, a new chipset came with it. Rev. A MacBook Pros were sort of funky as the 17" was released at a different time than the 15". But the processors were 1.83/2.0/2.16. Rev.B made only the 15" processors go 2.0/2.16 and got rid of the 1.83. 17" stayed exactly the same. Mainly, rev B added the BTO option of glossy displays. So, as you can see. 200Mhz jump for the high-end models and a 300Mhz jump for low end (2.2->2.5, 2.4->2.6) Is a bigger jump than Apple usually takes. Infact, it would be their biggest jump yet. The only thing is, for the first time the High-end and low-end models are separated by only 100Mhz. This is what tells me something. Apple is gonna have to do something special to the high-ends.

EDIT: Come to think of it. the 2.6 Ghz isn't that much of an improvement over the current BTO 2.6. Sure there are some added benefits, but how does the consumer market look at it? 2.6 = 2.6... They only know the numbers. Maybe apple will us some of their 15 Billion, or just not charge as much and put a 2.8 Ghz in it! Doubt it though... probably as a BTO for an extra 300 bucks.

11. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

to the OP: Cool blog, I bookmark bar'd it.

"According to Intel executives, Penryn-based computers will see the following speed improvements over the current Core 2 Extreme processors

- 15% for imaging-related
    - 25% for 3-D rendering
    - 40% for gaming
    - 40% for video encoding (SSE4 optimized)"

From macrumor posted april 17 of last year.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/17/intels-penryn-chip-boosts-speeds/

of course speculative.

12. Kelly™ macrumors regular

Even so.
    This is perfect reason to go with Penryn when those of us who have good laptops like in my sig have our laptops get older or go bad, but it is still no reason to drop our current beasts for beasts with hair.
    o.o

13. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

Of course these new ones aren't gonna make the old ones slower. But it is a nice upgrade!

14. Josheua macrumors regular

Those are all speculated. Real world performance boosts will probably be much less. Closer to 15-10% (compared to 40%) in gaming. Which in this day in age of modern computing translates into milliseconds of difference. I'm sorry but the human body is running out of reaction time to benefit from these advances. :D The next step will just to hardwire the computer into our cerebral cortex in order to facilitate direct communication. Ala, the Matrix :cool:

15. wildwobby thread starter macrumors member

Not necessarily Josheua,

As computers keep getting faster, games and other applications keep up with it by using more advanced techniques and etc.

For example take a game from back in 2002 or so... Look at a screen shot of one. The quality is nothing compared to what they are now, 5 years later. Imagine what the next 5 years would bring and try playing a new game like crysis on that computer you had in 2002. The BIG misconception here.