I need clarification on the developer costs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtztgue, Jul 5, 2009.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

I have heard from several sources that there are two ways to be a developer. One is free and the other costs money. The last few times I checked with apple there is the standard developer $99 and the enterprise level $299.

Is this something that was free before but they are now charging? or is there another way to get involved? Ultimately I just want the new OS downloads. I would like to get the 3.1 on my phone.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

If you are looking for early beta access, you will have to be a developer. Bottom line is that it will cost you $99

3. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

good question

I would also like to become a deveopler, I have some experience with deveoplment and it could be fun. I haven't used a mac before so the real cost for development is gonna be 99 + the cost of a mac mini, my neihbor who is in the same boat said that kind of system was pretty cool to play with SO in a couple months I will get started on this. In a sorta related note does everyone know that bookpool is gone?

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

Do you have to pay $99 to get the SDK? I assume so, but would like to tinker and not interested enough to spend the money.

5. Johnathan macrumors member

you don't need to pay anything to get the SDK. it's free. You won't be able to put your build on an iphone/app store without paying the 99$ though.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I looked into it a couple of months ago and signed up for free.

Free gives you the developer tools and you can run them on a Mac. It also provides a "virtual" iPhone to test your programs.

But once you want to test your progs on a real iPhone you have to pony up the $99 for a different program/SDk.

Again that was two months ago and that's how I read it.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm not sure if the OP's question was answered. It is $99 for the basic developer package. But, you can pay a different rate to develop for an enterprise so you are able to write and distribute in-house apps, etc.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You can download the sdk and tools for free. this also include running your apps in the simulator.. but once you want to test your app on a real device and/or submit the app to apple you need to enroll in the iPhone developer program which is 99 bucks.

9. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Didn't it Used to be free to download the sdk but now it costs to test on your device and publish to the App Store? Personally I want to make sure I can learn and enjoy Objective-C before I spend the $99 if at all possible - I want to develop but am not certain it's for me, given that I have little programming experience. I have a book on programming that I am reading but having access to Xcode would really help my understanding.

10. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

+1.

11. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

hopeful

the objective C is close to C++ and C# those I have some experience with but I guess I will see

12. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

this is great... so to clarify.

1. the sdk is free but will only work on the mac.

2. to put anything on the iphone(including the new 3.1 os) we have to pay $99.

All, i really want is the 3.1 on my iphone. Even in beta. I have to many bugs in the 3.0 that I am hoping is fixed in the 3.1

That would explain why I keep hearing its free, but apple shows the $99.

13. Gangis macrumors newbie

I have a developer account I just bought and am not using after all. The only thing I've done was add UDIDs to it. I'd rather see it put to use by someone else, actually.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

If you have a Mac, you already have Xcode. Without having to buy or download anything.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Dude, seriously. Read the thread that you are posting to. It IS free to download the sdk and build iPhone apps that run in the simulator.

16. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

"Dude" I did read the thread, and I did read what the poster said about it being free. Doesn't mean they're correct.

Maybe I didn't phrase my question right but I seem to recall having heard that you must now pay the $99 regardless and there is no free SDK download anymore. That is why I asked, because I know that it used to be a free download but I had heard that Apple had changed this with 3.0. So before you tell me to read the previous post, please take a moment to breathe deeply. I jut wanted clarification.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Did you really read the thread? That has been answered many times...