I need Everyones HELP!! Name a fact!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, May 29, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

Hey everyone.. here it is.. im graduating next month. I want a laptop. My dad wants to give me his current one. I want a macbook. Never had one, no one in my family has had a mac. He feels i dont need it. But my mom agrees that i should get one or any laptop, but a macbook is what i want. SO when people ask shes telling them to get me a apple gift card. I want to tell my dad about this. He wont be thrilled but he will live with it. But i want your help! I want to show him a lot of stuff he doesnt know about macs. So please please please, give me a fact about the macbook or what you think about it. Give me features or anything like that. If you have pictures of college campuses using macbooks, post that. If you go to college and see many people use macs, say that. Also write about hardware, features, the look, what it can do, etc. I want to be able to print out pages and show him how many people like it and to be able to say all of these people have facts for you about how good they are!.
    Thanks Everyone

2. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

here you go dad:
    1. Better than a windows laptop :D (thats the big thing)
    2. The most stable OS out to date
    3. Can run windows via Boot Camp
    4. Office '08 for Mac runs brilliantly
    5. Most advanced intel processors in laptops up to date along with the Macbook Pro
    5 Spaces really helps you get your work done especially if your multi tasking
    6 Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc. seem to run a lot better on macs
    7 The Macbooks battery life is better than most in its class
    8 2 gb RAM standard is huge and can be easily expanded

lot more but thats a start

3. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Appreciate it.... Keep it coming everyone..

-Thanks again!!!!

4. mike000 macrumors member

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well all Macs come with Mac OS X which is fast, easy to use, has a great UI, doesnt junk up and get slower over time & is virus free.

you can also install Windows on your MacBook if you need to too using Boot Camp (built into OS X) or by using a third party virtualisation. more info here.

if price is a concern you could have a look at the refurbished store. theres a MacBook for $999 with decent specs here.

also have a look at Apple's "Find Out How" videos to have a look at what a Mac can do.

7. Uoila macrumors member

- Fully 64 bit Hardware and OS
    - Utilizes "next gen bios (kinda)" EFI
    - Full *nix environment with shell and gnu user land tools

Sorry for all those that I offend, but it is pretty much like any other PC except it can run OSX natively.

I understand your dad not wanting to buy a new laptop when there is a perfectly good one laying around but he shouldn't be mad about it being a mac specifically.

Anyways, whatever your decide to do..... do it quick so that you can still use your student discount.

8. Burgess07 macrumors regular

Burgess07

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

10. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

Just saying Thanks again.. Feel free to add more..

Thanks..... I dont think he will be mad, he just feels it not nesssecary to get one. But i rather have a new laptop. Macs seem great!

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ Macs seems that way to some people becuase of their classy appearance. but only until you buy one you appreciate the stability and speed of an Apple Mac + Mac OS X.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If you get a Mac, you get Mac OS X. And with OS X, you're going to spend more time actually using the computer than trying to keep it working.

When you work, time is money.
    When you study, time is knowledge.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Went to the Harvard School of Law and everyone had a laptop; I'd say 70% had Macs. Went to UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and everyone had a laptop; at least 80% had Macs. My four years at the University of California, Berkeley, I had an Apple computer 24/7, and my two years at San Francisco State University, I've had a MacBook/BlackBook/MBA with me 24/7. Do you want to connect to your school's WiFi faster and with a more reliable connection? Go with a MacBook. Every class I've taken, I've had an Apple computer in front of me, so hopefully everything will work out for you! Go Bears! Go MacBook! :p

14. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Important stuff for dad from a college student (I used some of this information 5 years ago to persuade my parents)

70,000 known viruses affecting Windows-Based Personal computers in 2002 --> that figure can be estimated to have exponentially increased over the past 6 years.

most Macs have NEVER been affected by a single virus

You can create, send, receive, and edit all MS Office based documents with MS Office '08 for Mac as well as iWork featuring Pages, Numbers, and Keynote --> Apple's proprietary competitor for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

now for my personal experience, my parents purchased me a 12" PowerBook almost 5 years ago to start college. Today, that PowerBook is still currently used EVERY DAY and strongly running OS X 10.5.3.

15. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

I think this picture is great and all... I really do..

but I go the KU and we really hate everything about MU... that school SUCKS!!!!

Tell your dad to buy you a MacBook dude but don't every go to MU :)

16. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

You will be much more likely to get laid if you have a Mac. No question.

That should put the issue to bed for him.

17. skybolt macrumors 6502a

18. krye macrumors 68000

krye

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20. Nick012 macrumors regular

Can't maintain a wireless connection...

I'm just annoyed, they're great machines...

21. Jpoon macrumors 6502

They're well designed, in my opinion, and if you go for a refurb / buy off Amazon / get a student discount, it's not that bad of the price considering the hardware you're getting. And I've NEVER had an issue with Wifi, Ethernet, or using a Sierra Wireless Air card *Sprint* with my Santa Rosa MB.

Your OS is 64bit, which takes full advantage of 4 gigabytes of RAM.

RAM and HDD are easily accessed to replace.

You can boot either OS X or Windows XP, Vista.

Battery life, is relatively respectable compared to similar PC hardware
    equivalents.

Beats equivalently equipped PC's.

Bluetooth as a standard, Six pin Fire Wire *probably referring to that incorrectly,* excellent software suite of the box.

Relatively plug in play with most cameras, mice, keyboards, usb headsets, etc.

Overall, an excellent machine on style, performance, ease of use, and beats all PC laptops with equivalent hardware.

Plus, they're damn sexy. Nuff said really.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wait, graduating or just finishing High School? Graduating here is what you do when you get your University degree, anything else means bugger all so we just call it "finishing High School". Anyhoo, I'll presume you're using the american definition seeing as you asked for pictures of Macs at Uni campuses. Here we go:

1. Chicks dig them. Windows laptops are nowhere near as cool.

2. No virus/spyware related downtime. If a virus makes the rounds on the campus networks you'll be the one still able to get stuff done.1

3. Easier to lockdown if the Uni decrees that all machines will be searched for pirated material meaning you don't have to burn 118 CDs in a few days then reformat your drive2

4. Better battery life means you can get your work done in nicer places.

5. Handbrake means that making a massive collection of movies and TV shows of all your mates' borrowed DVDs the easiest thing in the world. Then you can hold movie nights in your room with front row. In the dark. Then you can use that dark, cuddled up atmosphere to pick up chicks3

1 - Every year on campus 2001 - 2004 (HP Pavillion PC)
    2 - Fourth year at Uni (2004), same machine as above.
    3 - Second year at Uni (2002), same machine as above, more difficult to do than HB + Front Row but the result was the same.

Need any more?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hate to say this, but you don't need a Macbook, you want one; there isn't anything wrong with what you're dad said; he told me the same thing.

As with all this convincing: Thinkpads are more durable, Linux is more stable, plus it's free; remembers chicks like dudes who are smart, so give up on the looking cool part. Thinkpad wireless is way better, and you can do a lot more on a Windows machine.

That said...

For the dad:
    1) Easy out of the box experience; you son won't be configuration a bajillion things when he can instead be studying
    2) Less games on OS X; sure he can install Windows, but OS X is a deterance; it works.
    3) You son is a grown man; he looks to look at his daily share of "stuff"; a Macbook will make sure he won't have problems after he's "done."
    4) The Macbook price/performance is very good; plus he can get a free iPod and a free printer; saves you money! (Maybe keep the iPod ;) ... or not... )
    5) Macs are increasingly popular among college students; don't let your son get left out; you want him to be shining brightly as a student, not as the guy without the Mac.
    6) Seriously, he wants a darn Mac; you don't know anything about it, so you don't think he needs it? If he hates it in the end, it's his fault; you don't want him pissed off at you for all those years for him being left out. Buy him a Macbook out of love; out of the fact that you will feel you have done your part and your son shall do the rest.
    7) Put it this way: Get him a Macbook, you are happy that he is happy; he will do well in school; he makes big bucks; he can buy all the PCs you will ever want.

Good luck!

24. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

nice pun... :p

another reason, macs are built like tanks! I've dropped my macbook twice from at least 3 feet up (hard tile and concrete), and its been running flawlessly for two years. Not to mention how great apple's service department is. Not to mention the great number of people switching to macs because vista sucks. Most of my friends and family who have vista laptops hate vista and wish they had bought macs.

25. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

University of Cambridge

The University of Cambridge has within its Computing service a Mac lab, called the Balfour Macintosh Room. It's is full of iMacs that are upgraded on a fairly regularly basis.

Believe me you see a lot of Macs in Cambridge.

For a city of only 150 thousand people it has one Apple store and two official retailers. Not bad I think.