I need good alternative to Camino

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by foz405, Jun 5, 2013.

1. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

I've read a lot of discussion on the end of Camino, and that I must be the last person on the planet using it. However, It really did block pop-ups, as I tried TenFourFox on my PPC G4 using 10.4.11, and there are adverts everywhere - mostly embarrassing ones - on some of my usual sites. I tried Safari and it's not much better - if at all.
    I now have an old A1181 Intel Mac using 10.6.8, and I have the same problem with Firefox.
    Now I'm obviously a bit worried about security and malware, particularly on the Intel Mac, but I don't need all these pop-ups. Can anyone recommend an alternative browser to use please ? (for both machines).

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Although Firefox, properly configured, will do everything you want, it is not that good on a Mac.

Safari can block popups by going to the menu under Safari on menu bar, and selecting block popup windows. You can also block ads by getting the extension AddBlock.

However, for total control of web pages, on a Mac, try Omniweb (free). It allows for on the fly changes to page permissions, blocks popups, ads, etc.

3. Michaelgtrusa Suspended

Michaelgtrusa

Have you tried Roccat browser? https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37403/roccat-browser

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yet another "which browser" thread. Ok, I'll bite, but with a question. Whatever happened to iCab?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

7. macmac13 macrumors member

1. Firefox
    2. Chromium
    3. Chrome
    4. Opera

Firefox has a lot of Ad-blocking software, while Chromium is entirely open source. I personally use Ad Block Plus with normal chrome, and it works wonders.

8. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

9. Michaelgtrusa Suspended

Michaelgtrusa