Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foz405

macrumors member
Original poster
I've read a lot of discussion on the end of Camino, and that I must be the last person on the planet using it. However, It really did block pop-ups, as I tried TenFourFox on my PPC G4 using 10.4.11, and there are adverts everywhere - mostly embarrassing ones - on some of my usual sites. I tried Safari and it's not much better - if at all.
I now have an old A1181 Intel Mac using 10.6.8, and I have the same problem with Firefox.
Now I'm obviously a bit worried about security and malware, particularly on the Intel Mac, but I don't need all these pop-ups. Can anyone recommend an alternative browser to use please ? (for both machines).

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Although Firefox, properly configured, will do everything you want, it is not that good on a Mac.

Safari can block popups by going to the menu under Safari on menu bar, and selecting block popup windows. You can also block ads by getting the extension AddBlock.

However, for total control of web pages, on a Mac, try Omniweb (free). It allows for on the fly changes to page permissions, blocks popups, ads, etc.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I've read a lot of discussion on the end of Camino, and that I must be the last person on the planet using it. However, It really did block pop-ups, as I tried TenFourFox on my PPC G4 using 10.4.11, and there are adverts everywhere - mostly embarrassing ones - on some of my usual sites. I tried Safari and it's not much better - if at all.
I now have an old A1181 Intel Mac using 10.6.8, and I have the same problem with Firefox.
Now I'm obviously a bit worried about security and malware, particularly on the Intel Mac, but I don't need all these pop-ups. Can anyone recommend an alternative browser to use please ? (for both machines).

Have you tried Roccat browser? https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37403/roccat-browser

macmac13

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
1. Firefox
2. Chromium
3. Chrome
4. Opera

Firefox has a lot of Ad-blocking software, while Chromium is entirely open source. I personally use Ad Block Plus with normal chrome, and it works wonders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.