I need help again...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RaptorX, Jun 10, 2007.

1. RaptorX macrumors newbie

Okay, my problem is that Mac OS X 10.0 does not mount certain things for some reason.

It doesn't mount .DMG files (I load the file and almost instantly after clicking it, it says "could not mount blah blah blah) or mount my PSP to the desktop (it says it fails authentication).

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Have you considered upgrading to something more recent?

3. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

Try giving the gods a helping hand, the Blah Blah actually means something and may point them to what the actual problem is.

4. RaptorX thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an older iMac, so anything new will run slow if at all.

And the "Blah Blah" is just the file name. Sorry for not making myself clear.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

You sure about that? I've seen people run stuff as recent as Tiger pretty well on old iMacs.....which iMac is it?

6. RaptorX thread starter macrumors newbie

An iMac G3 Bondi Blue; slot loading, 128 MB Ram.

Also, I downloaded an update to update the system to 10.1.5, it came in a .dmg file, and it worked! So, are the files I'm trying to open corrupted? How do I fix these?

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Actually I think it's the other way around — almost anything will be faster than 10.0.0! :eek: Well at least you went up to 10.1.5. I think you can at least go up to 10.3.9 on any iMac (according to Mactracker), which is a very good OS, much much much much much better than 10.0 or 10.1.

8. RaptorX thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

My Panther disks are really scratched up, so I can't use those.

9. brandon6684 Guest

Yes, OS X seems to get faster with every release. I took my G3 iMac up to Tiger, and it was a lot faster than the 10.1 it started with. Though I don't think Tiger will run on yours, you should still be good with Panther. I would expect 10.0 to be less supported than OS9 for somethings. A lot of stuff has changed under the hood of OS X over the years, and even in the 10.1 days there were a lot of people dropping 10.0 support already, and I thought it all but died by the time 10.2 came around.

10. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

Can we have the specifics of the .dmg file?
    We know your OS, so maybe what you're trying to mount is not compatible with your OS.

11. RaptorX thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to open VMware (don't know what version) and Audacity. Both don't open.

12. RaptorX thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, my Panther disks seem to work great in it. I have a question, though. Will Panther kill my screen again (I killed it before from not updating the firmware)?