i need help and advice for connecting to the enternet.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by k2i10, Apr 20, 2010.

1. k2i10 macrumors newbie

hi, i have an imac g5, its all going alright i just dont no how to get the enternet onto it, i have a wireless router (linksys) attached to the family computer downstairs and my dell computer upstairs just connects wirelessly to it, i dont no how to connect to it using my mac? i would be very greatfull for any help. thanku.

i have already tried going to system preferences , network, and nothing comes up?

also the "airport" option is faded out so i am unable to click onto it?

a "wireless-g usb adapter" came with it, when i plug it in it ust pops up and tells me to enter details i dont no, because this mac is second hand i dont no the ip adress or anything?

i would be relaly greatfull if anyone can help even just a bit of help if they dont no excactly what i should do will be fine and i will be very thankfull, thnkyou for reading this and hope you can help me :) thankyou x

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Please remove the email address as it might get you some more SPAM.

Also Ethernet is not the INTERNET.

Also you can select whatever IP you want, as the IP is not tied down to the machine.

Do you have a LAN cable to connect the router to the iMac via the Ethernet port?

If not, you have to know the password for the secure W-LAN you have at home and the IP address for the router maybe.

I assume, you don't know much about Mac OS X in regard to networking?
    Do you have a friend or colleague or other person which might help you on location?

What specific model of USB Wireless Adapter do you have and what kind of window pops up?

Can you also tell us what kind of details it wants to know from you?

And can you tell us what Mac OS X version :)apple: > About This Mac)

[​IMG]

and what iMac model you have (Applications / Utilities / System Profiler > Hardware Overview)?

[​IMG]

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IP address is tied to your internet connection (modem), not to the computer so give the IPs and etc it asks

4. k2i10 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanku!

power mac 8.1
    processor name powerpc g5 (3.0)
    version 10.5.8
    doesnt give me a serial number or sales order number

applications include:
    itunes
    safari (wich obviously doesnt work)
    quick time
    ical
    isync
    ichat
    automator
    expose
    photobooth
    vlc
    time machine
    front row
    microsoft word
    microsoft powerpoint
    microsoft entourage
    microsoft excel
    msn

i dont no the password for the wireless router.

ok so when i go into network. 4 things come up on the left. (internal modem, ethernet, fire wire, ethern) all with red dots on... when i click on internal modem it asks for my number account name and password???? on ethernet there is a scroll down menu of (using dhcp, using boot p, manualy) and asks for the dns server and the name of the search domains, same as when i click on firewire and ethern)

when i plug the wireless g usb adapter in the ethern option changes to have a green dot on it and asks for the dns server and search domains.

also when i go into the "sharing" folder in system preferences "web sharing" and internet sharing are ticked.

and none of my colleage's, friends or family have a mac so they cant help.

no i do not have a lan cable, should i get one?

if you need any other information please ask :) thanku

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then that would be a good place to start.

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That was a helpful contribution. Thank you. Nothing like a bit of ridicule to make the troubleshooting process easier.