I need help ASAP.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Notsmartlol, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Notsmartlol macrumors newbie

i was going to restore my tethered jailbroken iphone 4 running ios 5.1 and i accidently clicked the wrong firmware. Now its stuck in recovery mode. I had no shsh blobs saved. Ireb didnt work, tiny umbrella, or anything. DFU does not work it just goes back to the recovery symbol PLEASE HELP ME :(

2. tygrubb macrumors regular

Are you 100% sure you're getting into DFU mode? It's tricky getting into it, and most attempts I make at it result in normal restore mode. Be sure you have it in DFU mode then use tinyumbrella to kick it out of the recovery loop. Also be sure you have the latest version of tinyumbrella.

Beyond that I don't know.

3. Notsmartlol thread starter macrumors newbie

it wont enter dfu i tried multiple times. It keeps going back to the recovery mode symbol. im not a noob at this and im stumped :(

4. tygrubb macrumors regular

Hhhhmmmm. If you can't get into DFU mode then it really is truly bricked (vs the casual use of that term these days). I don't really think there is reason to assume the worst at this point, though. What kind of firmware did you accidental select? Another version for the iPhone, or for another device? I'm guessing that the latter really would frack up the bootloader, but surely iTunes would test for which firmware was what before blindly flashing a device. So methinks maybe you have a flaky home button and are just having difficulty getting into actual DFU. At least let's hope that's the case. The alternative is an out of warranty replacement.

5. Notsmartlol thread starter macrumors newbie

it was another iphone firmware. i clicked 5.0.1 instead of 5.1

6. tygrubb macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't think that would cause any permanent damage. Honestly, it just seems like your home button or wake button is flaky and that's preventing you from getting into DFU mode. Be sure you do the little things like turning it off completely and then attempting again ( and again and again). I really don't think there's anything irreparably done, it's just going to be annoying to keep trying over and over again until you finally get it into DFU mode.

If your home button truly is shot (mine was on my iPhone 4, a common problem with that model), then I'm not immediately sure about how to get into DFU mode. But there has to be a way.

7. Notsmartlol thread starter macrumors newbie

well i hold it and it goes to recovery. i read the dfu instructions over and over. Ive done them. It goes to recovery everytime... im sorry im so frustrated i dont want to have to by my cousin a new phone :(:(:(

8. tygrubb macrumors regular

Take a break from it, it have another pair of hands to try. Did the home button exhibit any signs of unresponsiveness before?

Have you successfully gotten to DFU mode before on this model of phone? If not, then it's different than previous models (so instructions may not be accurate) and it really is very tricky, your timing has to be just right. It also has to be connected to the computer and a programming running that expects to see a DFU phone (like redsn0w, tinyumbrella, etc) or else it show the Connect to iTunes symbol the same as in regular recovery mode.

9. Notsmartlol thread starter macrumors newbie

i have jail broke this phone before. I think its the fact i clicked the firmware accidently. I know i need a break. I really can't afford to buy him another phone im 15-_-

10. tygrubb macrumors regular

So you know what you are doing and have done it before. I really don't think pointing to the 5.0.1 Ipsw did any harm (don't see how it could)l and I don't think you'll have to pay for a new phone.

Have you tried restoring from the regular Recovery Mode?

11. utahman130, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

So the phone does not show up in iTunes or TinyUmbrella?