Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Zauis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I know this may not be the best place to ask this but I need advice on buying a PC notebook. I already have a mac but I need to get a PC because there is certain software that I have to use that is only available for windows. It will be used mainly for browsing the web, email, using the office suite, presentations. My price range is up to $1500 and I don't need an ultra portable. A CD-R/RW drive would be nice for backups and decent battery life is a plus. Also should be Wi-Fi capable and atleast a 14" display. Please no responses telling me to get an ibook or pbook as I already have a mac.

GroverDoc

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2004
Bronx
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason you wouldn't be able to get VirtualPC and save some $$$ for other toys? I assume you have a desktop mac but you need a portable PC?

To answer your question, though... your needs for the PC sound very simple and I would say if you must get a PC notebook go for a cheap one. Even a Dell sounds like it would do what you want with no problems. I have a Dell notebook that has run everything you described without any major hardware problems for several years. I know a lot of people here are anti-Dell but as I said, I had no problems. Hope this helped a little.

Good luck.

vwguy

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
Silicon Valley
I think an IBM laptop with Centrino processor that has WiFi installed would be great for you. They are probably the best built laptop all around and tech support is top notch too. They are also a little bit pricey than others but you will get the ideal combo if you choose wisely during the building process.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Thinkpad

Hello, Zauis. I personally would reccomend an IBM Thinkpad for your needs. I own an A31, which is almost two years old at this point, but is still an amazing machine. The Thinkpads are built like tanks, and can take whatever you throw at them. They have great keyboards, and the customer support is second to none (Well, maybe Apple is as good, but I haven't had the chance to try them out yet).

Most Mac folks are used ot using the touchpads, but the Thinkpads have the little trackpoint eraserhead. Personally, I really like the trackpoints, i think they are easy, accurate, and effortless. However, if you do want the touchpad, they do make one model that has both the touchpad and the trackpoint.

Check out the R series on the IBM webside:
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2302836

Hope this helps!

Aaron

P.S. - Yes yes, I've been a Dos/Windoze person all my life, but I am currently saving my meager grad student stipend for a shiny new 15" Powerbook!

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I'd say get a Dell and save yourself some money. If it's not going to be your primary computer theres no reason to spend lots of cash and try and make it better then your primary, otherwise you will want to ditch your primary and stick with the laptop.

Dr. Zauis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I want to get am ibm thinkpad because they last a long time. I'm buying this notebook because my old IBM thinkpad is a PII, 4 or 5 years old, and the screen is broken off one of its hindge so the only way for me to use my current one is to prop up the screen on a box.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I think you should get am IBM. They have that cool "airbag" thing that senses a sudden change in motion and stops the hard drive to protect you data. Very Cool.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I study online, i do all my work on my laptop. I could not use post messages or upload files to submite my work because the website was Windows +6 only. I got VPC and it worked really great, i even do some of my work on it. Althou its a bit slow ots much better then buying a hoile new laptop. Everything that i needed to use i could get to work on my VPC or found a mac version.

Dont waste your money on a new laptop just get VPC

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Dr. Zauis said:
I want to get am ibm thinkpad because they last a long time. I'm buying this notebook because my old IBM thinkpad is a PII, 4 or 5 years old, and the screen is broken off one of its hindge so the only way for me to use my current one is to prop up the screen on a box.
A ThinkPad R51 would do the trick:
1.5 P-M
15" screen
802.11b/g
256MB RAM (throw another 256MB on it)
40GB HD
32MB Radeon Mobility 7500
$1449 on ibm.com

Good luck!

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Is VPC painfully slow? I would only need it to run one program that does not use many resources.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
dav said:
Is VPC painfully slow? I would only need it to run one program that does not use many resources.

The first few mins its slow but after that things get fast. I used MS for windows on my VPC and it worked find but a bit slow. It all depends on what you will do, ifs its work then VPC can handle it but dont think of running games on it.

If you can post what kind of program you will be using i could tell you if its worth it or not.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Toshiba always seems to have good systems, and their repair policy -- if something goes wrong, call them, a courier will bring a box and take it to the repair depot, then return it within a few days -- can't be beat.

A good budget notebook for your purposes is the A60-S1662, priced at $999, and runs around 2.5ghz; it has WiFi and CD-RW/DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.