I need help buying this Mac computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Karmaniac, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Karmaniac macrumors newbie

Karmaniac

I'm trying to buy a PowerMac G4.
    I need something to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Go Live, Final Cut Sudio, and OS X Tiger.

Well, I think this may be a good buy but I'm new to Macs and this guy lists so much information I'm somewhat overwhelmed. It would be great if someone would check out this eBay item real quick tell me if it's a good buy or not.

THANKS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Power-Mac...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

2. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Any reason why you want to buy a PowerMac G4?

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

450 MHz would struggle with all those apps, even very old version. I don't know if the original FCS would even run on that.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

If you must, get 1ghz or better. Even that has a limited shelf life.

5. Karmaniac thread starter macrumors newbie

Karmaniac

The FCS requires OS X and G3 minimum. I have a G3 right now and it's running all the Adobe apps fine (I don't have OS X so I dunno about FCS).

I want a G4 because I need more than a G3 but I can't afford anything much more than that.

6. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

oh no no no

that would be a nightmare to run those apps.

you only have 256 mb of ram. and a weak graphics card.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My advice would be to get a MB refurb - the white book basic model, if money is that short. At present, the refurb models - especially the MBs - offer excellent value, are thoroughly tested and come with Apple's warranty. They'd also be able to run the type of software you say you need, and you could expect to get several years of very good computing out of them. The model you say you are looking for (G4) would struggle badly to do that. Seriously, try a refurb MB, they are great value and an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck